Keep spreading the word

Posted , 10 users are following.

In order to obtain Naltrexone from my local NHS I had to agree to attend fortnightly sessions at my local 'wellness hub'.

?Today was my last session as both myself and the counsellor felt that I was no longer in need of any help. We agreed I could always go back if things changed for the worse.

?But I was silently stunned when my counsellor said that she had been involved in helping people with drink problems for over ten years but had to google The Sinclair Method when I first mentioned it. If somebody whose day to day life is working in alcohol addiction has never heard of TSM then there's a long way to go before this becomes a normal method of treatment.

?Now, I'm not insanely evangelical just because it seems to have worked for me. I realise that there are many possible treatments for this illness. Nevertheless, I volunteered on the spot to talk about TSM with anybody she felt would benefit from listening because it strikes me as ridiculous that such an important method of treatment is still quite unknown.

(Stomps feet in anger)

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I totally agree, I have started TSM with an online prescription but went to see my Doctor today to tell her what I was doing and she’d never heard of it. The outcome was that she has re referred me back to counselling with a 4 to 6 week waiting list and said they may be able to prescribe it on the NHS, it’s the same place I’ve been before so I doubt it but will go and see anyway. I told my Doctor I will carry on with TSM and Selincro regardless of the outcome as it’s clearly working for me and she happily agreed. 
    • Posted

You see once again you've been turned away if you wanted codamal for a sore back not a problem and it's highly additive makes me so angry

• Posted

I feel the same my pharmacist had to get information off me he was blown away. It's shocking it would save NHS thousands and save lives. 8 weeks ago I couldn't drive past the Winemark now I'm happy with a cup of tea. It's so wrong to let people suffer

• Posted

I've had similar, was referred 2 mths ago by my GP to a local alcohol service, when I requested to try nalmefene the person I saw hadnt heard of it or of their service prescribing it (how long has it been available in the UK, something like 4 years I believe). After kicking up a fuss i've now got an appointment to see their prescribing doctor but not for another 3 weeks, which will take me to 3 months since I first asked my GP about this!

Its bloody ridiculous, frustrating and demotivating to have to go through this but hopefully soon i will get somewhere.

I agree with you about keep spreading the word and i really do fully intend to do this, and also to highlight shortcomings and obstacles to the local NHGS, once I have my prescription.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.