Keep waking up extremely tired

Posted , 4 users are following.

I keep waking up extremely tired! I usually get around 6 hours sleep so o try upping it to 7 hours sleep which should be enough for me as a 22 year old but just doesnt seem like it is. Even on the weekends if i sleep for 9 hours or so i am incredibly tired. I dont eat right before bed or anything. Its got to a point where i cant help but fall back asleep after my alarm in the morning and end up with 5 minutes to get ready for work.

Im never especially tired before i sleep but tired enough to go to sleep fairly quickly.

Whats going on?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Do you snore?  Could be sleep apnea in that case.  Though you don't necessarily have to snore to have it.  

• Posted

What do you mean by extremely tired? Do you have no strength to get out of bed? Might be a sign of something else. Or might be a combination of factors. Does it happen daily? Have you checked with your GP? Care to post an update?
    • Posted

Sure, by extremely tired i mean as if i had only slept. Although i was getting 6/7 maybe 8 hours sleep occasionally, it felt like I had only slept for 2 hours. My legs hurt and feel weak, lifting things at work is much more of a struggle than they should be.

It happens almost daily, with the acception of maybe 1 day a week, where it still happens but not as bad.

I had blood work done must be nearly a year ago for seperate issues but they tested for alot of different things and all came back fine.

Have not spoken to my gp about this just yet

• Posted

Sounds like you are not getting enough "restorative" sleep. Personally I wake up a few times a night but can go back to sleep fairly quickly if I am not stressed, I dream a lot and remember my dreams each day so I know my brain is repairing which is what REM sleep is supposed to do. I sometimes wake up groggy when it's time to get up but I have always felt like that all my life but this usually goes away after 2 or 3 hours of being awake. Then I'm wide awake until late evening. Being tired all day, feeling weak like you have been experiencing is not normal and is a sign that you are not getting enough restorative sleep and your muscles are not recovering so that's why you feel weak and unable to lift things because of muscle weakness.

Saying all that I would see your doctor about it as being tired constantly is not normal. Perhaps they can test for your thyroid function and other things? Ask them about it and good luck to you.

• Posted

I was going through the same thing, feeling super tired and wanting to sleep, also gained a bunch of weight... went for a routine blood test and discovered I had hypothyroidism. Maybe it’s worth a look into this condition to see if you have the symptoms? If the tiredness came out of nowhere it could be medical. If tiredness came out of a challenging experience then maybe it’s a psychological thing? I went through that too, both forms of tiredness are similar. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.