Keeping a check on ageing parent living alone

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everybody,

I find myself in a difficult situation.

My father has been living on his own a few years now since my mom passed. He is in relatively good health for his age (75+) and I have been living close enough to visit him once a week plus talk to him on the phone a few times a week.

A month ago my DH got a new post overseas and we have found ourselves having to move there for 2 year period along with our children by Easter.

Although my father is not sick, I have noticed him becoming more frail over they years and I am really afraid what will happen if he has a fall inside the house and requires assistance while I'm overseas. 

I have heard terrible stories of seniors falling in their house and in some cases being left there for days before anyone noticed and got to them.

My father has a few friends with whom he meets frequently but at times it could be days before he sees anyone in person as he enjoys solitude. I am not even going to refer to moving to shelter homes or relatives' homes etc as it is out of the question for him. He loves his home and would hate to move to a new environment. Besides I have no siblings and his siblings have either passed or live overseas.

Does anyone have any other ideas of how I could deal with this situation?

I need to make sure I can check on my father and ensure he is alright while I am away.

Really worried.

Thoughts, ideas, experiences much appreciated...

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hello,Doespecially your dad have any Neighbours? Do you have a good doctor who you can talk to.You can always get an alarm pendant for your dad to wearHow about calling up a social worker.Are you your dad's Carer? You can get money for caring.Are you from the UK? I would suggest a big Button mobile phone.And have 3 easy contact numbers he can use.Do you have brothers or Sisters? You need to have a meeting with them.Hope this helps.regards Amanda .

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Old question, but I just read this.  If he has an extra room in his house, maybe he can rent it out to a grad student or someone else who is willing to give you reports every now and then ....  
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Do you have a local falls prevention team that could come out and assess him. 

    You should be able to find out through social services and they should provide monitors/alarms for free.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    What about one of those watch or necklaces that are alert systems for seniors living alone?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hello Pipifakido,

    My Suggestion to you is, You can find a trusted Caregiver near by you area.Why I'm saying like this means one of my friends had got a same situation.He found a best caretaker to his parents.So you can also find the Caregiver to you Dad and make them feel comfortable. 


    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up