Keeping weight off post-fundoplication

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

After a few years of suffering I am due to have fundoplication surgery on Monday morning! I'm not yet nervous, and trying to think practically to prevent this happening so, a question for those of you who have had the surgery.

I'm overweight, by about 20kg(44lbS), and have been told to expect potentially dramatic weightloss following the surgery. 5 years ago I was at my healthy weight, and fairly active- at the gym 2-3 times per week. I'm fully prepared to adapt my diet post op, and hope to get back to my active self (none of us want to be fat, we just like food and sitting down!) The fact that my portions will need to reduce massively, and will still fill me gives me confidence...

But how easy/difficult is it to keep the weight off? Eat less and move more is something I've always said- is it going to be that straightforward?

Any responses, tips, advice etc is appreciated.

TIA

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry this is not an answer, but a question, but why have they told you to expect dramatic weight loss? That's worried me as I was hoping to be considered for this type of surgery, but I've got the opposite problem and im too thin. If I lose a dramatic amount of weight I will look anerexic. I'm sure you will be fine if you eat healthy and do a bit if exercise. Good luck with your surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Claire, basically because they use part of the stomach for the wrap, there is not as much of it there to fill with food anymore- unless you stretch it back to size from what I can gather, coupled with 6 weeks of mashed/pureed food, it has the potential for major losses- I would imagine this would be more so if you had the weight to lose, if you already eat sensibly I shouldn't imagine it being much of a problem. I should add that I'm not having it done for weight loss, but if I can change my lifestyle at the same time then it makes sense to do so. I've read a lot on here and other sites, search for nissen fundoplication weight loss online- there's quite a lot out there, and its very mixed, don't be afraid to ask your surgeon, they would rather you were as confident and comfortable as possible. Good luck with your choice.
  • Posted

I did not lose weight after the operation - in fact, I put weight on whilst in the hospital and I was only on a drip.  Eating after the operation just means not having 3 main meals - the general advice is eat little and often, and do not have liquids with or shortly before a meal as it just fills up the stomach
  • Posted

Hi,

I am 3 weeks into my recovery and I have lost half a stone so far. I can't eat a great deal in one sitting - and if I do over eat I end up with very uncomfortable cramps. I'm not onto full solid food yet - still eating minced meats and mainly mashed veggies and gravy. The thing I miss the most is bread - was told not to try that until week 6!

• Posted

Hi

I had mine done a few months ago. I lost about one stone in the few weeks after.

I have been eating better now but the weight has stayed off luckily (I was about a stone overweight before). You lose about 1/3 of your stomach area so you get used to eating smaller meals. I now have very small snacks several times a day instead of 3 proper meals. I have been told this is better for your digestion anyway. If I have too big a meal now - I really suffer for hours.

I would go careful on excercising for a while as you dont want anything to come undone.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.