Kefir amazing probiotic help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, just sending out some good vibes and hopefully helpful info. I had to take amoxicillin for a tooth infection, 2nd round of amox in my life. First one gave me severe thrush, this one gave me terrible diarrhoea for 3 weeks - probiotic pills did v little, tried kefir it was amazing. It's a tart yoghurt drink, v tasty and unlike probiotic yoghurt which can have limited strains of good bacteria kefir can have up to 30 - just check the bottle. Not always easy to find not v cheap but if adventurous grow your own, from first batch of cultures you can grow continuously for life apparently. Anyway it sorted out my digestive issues in about 2 days after weeks of unpleasantness and I mean it, this was bad diarrhoea so if you have fungal issues from LS maybe try this. Wishing you all good health!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi thanks very much for that. Unfortunately, with LS, this is something that will undoubtedly repeat itself over the years, it is just one of the symptoms that comes with this autoimmune disease.  I will discuss your suggestion with my dermatologist before trying it out.  Wishing good health also. All the best.
  • Posted

Hiya, it's not easy to find in a supermarket, usually health food shops have it. I just returned from America where it's easy to find (of course!) but here I had to google stockists and get it at local health food shop. I just hope it could help balance out some of the unpleasant side effects of fungal issues and if anyone ends up on antibiotics and wants an effective probiotic smile
  • Posted

Oh and I'm talking about drinking it not using topically! Just that it's useful from the inside out - I don't know about topical use, not saying yay or nay but I'm just advising drinking it for now smile
  • Posted

I'm starting to appreciate how important these good bacteria are in fighting the yeast, which seems to often go hand-in-hand with LS.

I got some starter from a friend a few years ago and made water kefir for awhile. Good for those avoiding dairy.

The easy fix I'm sold on now is naturally fermented (no vinegar) sauerkraut from the health food store. I eat half a cup before a meal once a day. My digestion has improved fantastically and I give that some credit for recent accelerated improvement of my LS. I'm planning to quit making yogurt now. Might be good to cut that dairy out, but I've never worried about a small amount of yogurt and cheese in my diet. I certainly don't drink milk.

• Posted

Kefir is great, I make it for my family, but unfortunately because it is fermented and therefore contains natural sulfites I am unable to take it anymore, as I am sulfite intolerant.  

Incidentally, for those of you that suffer with diarrhoea issues, or soft stools, taking 1 tsp of Psyllium Husk Powder in a glass of juice every day will sort it out almost immediately.

• Posted

I bought some organic kefir today. I'm going to put two spoons on my oatmel instead of yogurt. Good topic!
    • Posted

HWhere did youget the Kefir from?  I can't seem to find any in any supermarket here?
    • Posted

My small town has a huge natural foods store. At worst you could order starter online...
    • Posted

Hey there - health food shops tend to have it, are you in a city or rural? If you google kefir UK you can see a list of stockist, mine showed me on a map so j could find ones near where j live.
    • Posted

Hi

I found a shop that sells Kefir but been too ill to go there today.  Will make a trip there next week. Thanks for all your help here.  This is a good place to talk about this embarrassing problem, with people who suffer the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.