Kefir and IBS-a

Posted , 4 users are following.

My head is about to bust from researching what may help my IBS-a.  Has anyone had experience with Kefir and if so, what?  Does it provide any relief?  I don't think I'd wish IBS on my worst enemy. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, frazzled, I've never tried kefir but I use buttermilk (organic). I discussed it with my doctor and he mentioned the bacteria in buttermilk may help my condition.  I'm also trying betaine which was recommended by someone on this site. I'm also researching anything that will help. One thing that has helped the most is im no longer taking Amlodipine. 

• Posted

The best milk I have tried is non pasturised milk.
    • Posted

I hear that pippa.  Use to have that right from the cows and I'm make yogurt using it.  Lived in farm country or a while.  The milk bottle has 1/2 or more of cream on the top.  Yummy.

• Posted

Don't worry, my posts have typos too even with rigorous checking.  It's the lack of an edit button that is the problem.

Glsd you like pure, fresh milk.

• Posted

I'm going to try buttermilk.  Haven't thot of that.  Thanx.  I'll let you know how I react to it.  I like it too so that should help.

• Posted

Hi Frazzled, what is IBS a?, I've heard of d and c, anyway I've been making Kefir for well over a year, whether it helps or not I can't really say, but I have no problems with it and I reckon it's good for you from what I've read, it's basically a super probiotic, I would say it definitely does not worsen my ibs symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Frazzled, I would definitely not eat ONIONS and Prunes, Prunes contain a lot of Sorbitol, Sorbitol gives me chronic bloating and pain, check out the FODMAP diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.