Keloid incision

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am 13 weeks post op left TKR. My knee is healing pretty good. I still can't bend my knee past 93 degree angle but it's coming along. My surgeon was just happy that I can straighten my leg all the way. But he is concerned that my incision has developed keloid which is very painful. He suggested a cortisone shot in my knee. My response: no way!!!! So he suggested putting cortisone cream on it and just keep massaging it. This doesn't seem to be working right now. Has anybody had to deal with a painful keloid incision? How do you get it smooth? I've had other surgeries but I've never had to deal with keloids. Please help!!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had a scar in which a section of it was raised, I used a silicon gel sheet made by Smith & Nephew and it flattened out the raised area, as well as helped in reducing the appreance of the scar.  The product is called Cica Care silicon gel sheets if you want to look it up.  Good luck
    • Posted

Hello, I'm gon try to find that silicone gel sheet. Thank you so much.
  • Posted

I am 12 month post and my keloid is still very painful and itchy. My surgeon just said nothing he could do. I will be looking for that product
    • Posted

Hey, Suzy, I don't know if the placement of the scar would be a a reason nothing can be done about it, since I am not a doctor.  What I do know, is this;  I had a lumpectomy in which the surgeon that preformed the operatio, fail to properly close the incision.  This resulted in an ugly keloid scar. When I questioned the doctor about it, he said some people are just naturally susceptible to that type of scar, and I must be one of them.  I was born with several medical issues and by this point in my life had had many operations, with no keloid scaring.  When I pointed that out to him, he as well said there was nothing he could do for me. I researched keloids, and found the # reason for keloids(if you don't normally scar that way) was incomplete closure of the incision.  Needless to say, I changed doctors.  My new doctor removed the scar, and asked me to try a new product she had received that was sup
    • Posted

Sorry, don't know what happened.  Anyway, the product was the Cica Care gel sheets. These sheets did an awesome job of reducing the appearance of the scar.  Recently, I had a PKR, in which I was concerned about a portion of the incision looking to be slightly left open.  Sure enough, after they removed the staples, that portion of the scar starting raising.  I ordered the gel sheets again, as as I stated in my earlier post, it has not only reduced the appearance of the scar but flatten the raised area as well.  Hope this is helpful, sorry it is so long!!
    • Posted

What I was trying to say, is my new doctor removed the keloid scar, which when it healed, was now a flat scar.  Sorry, don't normally type that much!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.