Ketamine for Depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I have been suffering depression for over 20 years and nothing seems to help. The new hope is Ketamine,

I'm Australian and live in Brisbane and looking for a local treatment centre or user information and experience is difficult. 

I can locate an overseas supplier and a trial site that starts next year but nothing right here and now. 

Can anybody help PLEASE I'm desperate. Colin

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

It induces a trance-like state while providing pain relief, sedation, and memory loss. Do you really want that??I know depression is overwhelming but nothing that causes memory loss is ever good. I'm not trying to sound mean or anything I've been there too many times desperate for something to make the p*in go away. Have you tried benzos? Xanax, Valium.. You probably did since you said you have 20 years. I wish you all the best!👍💕Take Care

• Posted

As I'm new to this site and not too computer savy I only just found your reply today . Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I have tried Xanax and Valium amongst a lot of others and probably Valium is the best I have used to date but my doctor tells me to get off it as it's addictive. 

I hear u big time re Ketamine and I'm trying to get on a trial with UNSW

Thanks for the warning

Best Regards

• Posted

9999 I can only be guided by the world's leading experts in Depression and Anxiety, no less than five first world companies that head up their universities . There are too many heavy weights looking at Ketamine as the big breakthrough for D&A. There have been many Ketamine clinics operating around the world with great results but it's the long term use and possible side effects that have not been determined.

9999 can you imagine almost all symptoms of D&A disappearing in 24 hours !!!!!!

Ketamine has been approved for medical use since 1962 but the extent of usage varies from country to country. 

It's hard and expensive in Aust but it's got to be done right and all medical monitoring and procedures are obviously to be followed as per the experts. 

• Posted

Hi Collin

I'm not from Australia I live in the U.S Although I'm desperate for something to work for both my Anxiety and Depression. I don't think it would. Nothing has ever worked for me.  Just Xanax the first time I tried it. Ketamine is not legal over here I believe. Thanks though👍

• Posted

9999 I read there are a number of Ketamine clinics operating in USA and particularly in NY.  It's reported that Ketamine works on both D & A. I'm desperate too, Suicide ideation is with me every day. I don't think anything over 20 years has worked for me. Ketamine works in a different way to SSRIs and Universities from USA, UK, Canada, Australia, NZ and others are writing it up as the biggest breakthrough for 50 years. Do I understand your Xanax does not work for you anymore? As my research tells me Ketamine is legal in all countries mentioned above for Anesthetiser and pain but not for D & A . I have been told by one authority (QHB) that if you can convince a " pain doctor " yr D&A is so bad he may give you Ketamine for relief and the R.O.A. should be Infusion IV as recommended by the experts. While I'm suffering D&A I can focus to read and research, are you OK to do same ? 

I do hope things get better for you and let's pray for each other that there will be a new development soon. 

• Posted

Hey Collin

I tried Xanax twice it only worked the first time.. I'm not taking any medication right now. I can focus to read and research. I will continue searching if I find something that can help I will reply back. Thanks alot for the info.👍 I will pray for both of us. Don't ever give up!🙏Take Care💕

• Posted

Hi 9999, 

I sincerely hope you are getting thru your days very peacefully and looking forward to the next one as it comes. 

If I were granted a wish, I would wish that everyone in the world would totally recover from Depression and Anxiety right now. 

As I'm not really confident my wish will be granted all I can do is research something better than SSRIs antidepressants . While researching something better I find so many reports reporting the ineffectiveness of SSRIs. I'm discussed as I have been taking them for almost 20 years with no obvious improvement.

I'm presently obsessed with Ketamine because so many countries and authorities are writing it up as the best breakthrough for 50 years but there is work to be done. In my research I cannot find one example of one person suffering side effects while being treated for D & A on small doses with Ketamine. Obviously I could be wrong.

Re Ketamine, As reported the amount of people claiming effectiveness and success as reported is hard to believe. 

If you want some links in the USA I have some but you will have to send me a personal message as I do not know how to do that. 

Very best regards 

Col , Brisbane 

• Posted

Hey Collin

To send a personal message you click the icon "📩" near the person's name. I also wish we all would not suffer  from depression and anxiety. But, like you said..we can only try to find a cure. Best of luck too You!💕

• Posted

Hi Colin. What meds have you taken before? My psych found the meds that work great for me and I am doing very well now. I live in Canada and our health system is very good. I got the help I needed quickly and it was all covered by our government medical services plan. I know how difficult it is to be waiting and hoping for anything to make you feel better. This I'd a great site for support.

• Posted

Hi Phyllis, As I'm new to this site and not too computer savy I only just found your reply today . Thank you so much for your comments. I have been on so many MEDs I cannot remember what I have taken, including Lithium. I'm 68 and running out of time and would just like some peace. All I have got for years is "try this and go away" I think Australia and Canada are similar in free health care. I think I have been on antidepressants for almost 20 years but still go thru the depression and anxiety cycles regardless.

I believe Canada's is trailing Ketamine along with a number of other countries. The USA has many Ketamine clinics and we had some here but they were shut down due to poor operating procedures. 

Thanks again and best regards 

Colin

• Posted

Hi again Colin. I never had clinical depression until I retired in 2015. I’m now 69 and so thankful I’m on meds that work so well for me. I take venlafaxine and mirtazapine and I  am enjoying life now. I’m not familiar with Ketamine; I will have to look it up. Hope you will find some peace and happiness soon.
    • Posted

Hi Phyllis's,

I meant to say, I'm very happy for you that you found the right "cocktail" to fix your D&A....Good luck to you and stay well. 

I'm sssuming at this stage I'm "treatment resistant" as far as antidepressants are concerned, that's why I'm trying to get on Ketamine trials and / or a reasonably priced clinic. 

Bye and Cheers 

Colin, Brisbane. 

• Posted

Hi Colin - ketamine is still in a trial phase in Australia since 2016. It's a 3 year trail. More info can be found on the Black Dog Institute with numbers for contacting various persons involved - you might be able to access it as a trial patient. 

• Posted

Hi Wayne, As I'm new to this site and not too computer savy I only just found your reply today . Thank you so much for your comments. I have been on so many MEDs I cannot remember what I have taken, including Lithium. I'm 68 and running out of time and would just like some peace. All I have got for years is "try this and go away"  I think I have been on antidepressants for almost 20 years but still go thru the depression and anxiety cycles regardless, but the episodes are getting longer as I get older.

I believe Canada's is trailing Ketamine along with a number of other countries. The USA has many Ketamine clinics and we had some here but they were shut down due to poor operating procedures. 

Wayne, thanks for the info on Black Dog I have already completed my application and waiting approval to be accepted for ECT and the Ketamine trial

Do you live in Aust ?

Anyway thanks again

Cheers

Col

Thanks again and best regards 

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin - thanks for your response. Good on you for taking action. I hope you find the relief you are searching for - and if you are successful, there are many here who would be fascinated to know how it progresses and whether the impact has been positive for you. Yes, i live in Australia.
    • Posted

Hi again Wayne, 

If I'm accepted by Black Dog / UNSW and if it is a success I will tell the world. 

D&A is hell and it's kinda hard to believe anyone can feel as bad I do but obviously they do by reading people's notes. I have a wonderful young Asian wife and a supportive family and still I feel like death warmed up. 

Thanks for your encouraging comments 

Regards Col, Brisbane 

PS it's 2 pm and just got out of bed, no A/c

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.