ketogenic diet

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi i have epilepsy and due to lack of drugs working for me at the mo im looking into trying the keto diet. if anyone has any information or experiance with it please lmk thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sarah

I’ve had epilepsy since I was 7, now 63 (where did the time go?). No Dr has suggested the ketogenic diet although it started sometime in the 1920’s. I have the impression that it is not a dwelling point in med school as a treatment along with taking meds. Nor or vitamins which I’ve asked my Dr about. I do take a B complex though.

Since you mentioned it, I’ve looked it up on the web. It seems to be used in childhood the most, but it seems to have benefits for some adults. The diet seems to be very restrictive, and for some, hard to stay on. The proportion of fat and other allowable foods, are based on weight and have to be measured out. I couldn’t find a diet plan, only a sample of foods to eat and avoid and a proportionality of fat intact to weight and the amount of other allowable foods, which I tried to figure out. My math went wrong somewhere. Like one article said, you may need a dietician, hopefully one familiar with a ketogenic diet.

Take care, Steve

• Posted

thanks for that steve. ive been in contact with a nutrionist about it, but i need a qualified keto dieticion if you know of any please let me know. 
    • Posted

Sarah

I’m sorry I can’t offer more input. I can only suggest contacting an epileptic foundation/chapter/society for a referral to a qualified keto dietician if your nutritionist is unaware of one. The only other advice is searching a bookstore or library, but it would be nice to have guidance from a dietician familiar with the keto diet plan. I live in the U.S. and I doubt my Dr has any material about it, he’s meds only. Does your Dr have an opinion on the benefits of keto diet?

Steve

• Posted

Ketogenic diet was developed mainly for children, not quite so effective for adults, but you might be the exception, it didn't work for me, give it a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.