Key to softer Bowel movements after LIS (long)

Posted , 1 user is following.

I just wanted to share something that has helped me tremendously after my LIS and hemorrhoid ligations. I had LIS surgery along with 3 banded hemorrhoids on October 18th 2018. It took about 2 full weeks to be completely pain free and then I had to stop taking the stool softeners. I kept up drinking 100 oz of water a day as well as taking Metamucil fiber supplements every morning. I noticed the fiber was making too much volume for me to properly expel during bowel movements, leading me to strain and causing a lot of pain from the surgery sites. The pain was still tolerable compared to the fissure I had previously, but I’d like to live as pain free as possible. I did some research and saw that taking 500 mg of magnesium citrate can mimic stool softeners and is safe to take everyday (unlike the sennacot I was taking after surgery). I also consulted my physician. I stopped taking the fiber all together and started on the 500mg of magnesium citrate, taken at night before bed. To my absolute delight the magnesium, along with my usual 100 oz of water throughout the day, worked marvelously. I have soft, easy to go bowl movements every morning now with no straining and no pressure. It has literally changed my life and I wanted to share with those who may need help with softer bowel movements without using stimulant laxatives or osmotic laxatives.

2 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.