Keyhole hysterectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

the week has arrived booked in for this Thursday,for keyhole surgery,even thinking about changing my mind ,as I am so nervous,even though it needs to be sorted,but too be honest it is the not knowing how I am going to be after,I have been told I will probably even be allowed home the same day if all goes ok ,is this right plz .and also how long should I be off work ,I am meant to be having tubes and womb removed and not sure about overlies as yet, consultant says let's see what they look like,unless I decide I want them gone too, big decisions ,any help would be good plz x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm 5wks in . I had a total hysterectomy. I didn't have keyhole. If you do what they say you should be fine. But let me tell you it's not a quick fix AT ALL. I have good days and bad . Just had a bad week end .cryed and in pain . But you do have days like that. I have two friends who have had hysterectomys . One was keyhole. She recovered quicker. Just listen to your body . I'm hoping to be back to work soon but I'm going to listen to my body and the doctor. X

• Posted

Thank you Gillian,yes I will listen to doctor this time as last year I had fybroids removed and done myself in by not listening so learnt my lesson there ,and good luck for your recovery too x
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I had LAVH which is what you would call mostly keyhole but everything was taken out vaginally though I had 3 small incisions in my abdomen where the keyhole bit was done, if you understand what I am saying? I was like you and didn't think I would go in right up to the day but on the actual day to go in I was resigned to it all and went in without kicking and screaming lol! You need to be off work for at least 6 weeks depending what work you do of course, I would imagine if you sit at a desk all day then you may be able to go back sooner, bear in mind though that you may not be able to drive.

I had everything taken away uterus/cervix/overies but I was 61 so had already gone through menopause and I had cancer so all had to go, as to whether you should have your overies removed perhaps just leave that to your consultant to decide. 

Make sure you take things very easy when you get home, do not lift anything heavier than a kettle, can't stress this strongly enough, remember that having keyhole surgery still means that your muscles etc have been cut through and they need to heal and if you were to go lifting heavy things you could do damage to yourself and prevent yourself healing. I had absolutely no pain whatsoever after surgery and have never taken any kind of pain relief even while still in hospital.

You will be absolutely fine I'm sure and look at it this way by Friday it will all be over and done and you will be on the road to recovery.

All the best

Phoebe. x

• Posted

Please excuse my spelling, while typing I didn't think overies looked right it's ovaries Phoebe you siilly girl. tut tut. redface

• Posted

Hi phoebe I am 18 wks post op. Im 50. Had keyhole took womb, tube, both ovaries as I had heavy bleeding and ovarian cyst and was in a lot if pain. I can honestly say it's the best thing I have ever done, I feel like a new woman . I had op at 2pm and left at midday the next day, just needed my own bed lol. I was uncomfortable for a few weeks but nothing too bad and found it difficult to set at desk for any length of time for about 5 weeks. I went back to my admin job after 6 weeks but did no lifting for about 12 weeks. Starting going to ladies gym at 12 weeks no heavy weights just hydraulic machines and now doing everything. I'm so pleased I had the op wish I'd done it years ago. If you want to ask anything else please do. Good luck xx

• Posted

Thank you ,don't worry about spelling see I made same mistake,not got good head on at moment ,and yeah that is the way to look at it operation will be over on Friday,apart from recovering,I have been putting up with swelling off belly heaving bleeding pains etc etc for a while now so hopefully will sort it out.wish u a good recovery x

• Posted

If you aren't comfortable with this decision, don't do it. I wish I had cancelled my surgery. If I had listened to my inner voice, I would have. My life has been upended in every way. I never realized how important my uterus was until it was gone. Ditto for my ovaries. What gyn problems are you having?

• Posted

Oh no poor you not good,I had fybroids removed last year ,and now they are back,but worse pain ,swelling of stomach feels like I am 9months pregnant at times,heavy bleeding ,headaches etc etc ,just what it to stop hope u feel better soon x
    • Posted

Thank you. Since you just had fibroids removed last year, I wonder if the surgeon didn't get them all. I've heard of them not removing ones that are more difficult to remove. Do you think you're close to menopause when they'll shrink and won't cause you this discomfort (and bleeding)?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.