Kicked by child in knee replacement.

Posted , 6 users are following.

My tkr is almost a yr out. Doing well but im super protective of that knee. Today working with a 5 yr old with behaviors, I took a kick to my tkr. It wasny a major kick, but enuf to feel it. Now im scared and worried it will be bad and swell..any preventative advixe?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry  , TKRs are made of tough stuff .  After 1 year it's unlikley a kick by a child would do any damage .  My knees have been kicked several times , with no problems at all . Very lively and energetic 7yr and 5yr old granddaughters . I have been jumped on and had them bouncing on my knees , and everything young children do .  My TKRs are 19½ and 17½ years old , and just before Christmas I fell off a 3 foot wall on to a concrete floor , had a very bad gash on my shin but the knees were fine . My first thoughts were about my knees but no problem there . 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I know I'm such a baby about it. At my 6 months doctor appointment the surgeon started bending my knee around and my whole leg and I was like eeeek...then I was like oh that didn't even hurt! So I won't be so worried about this thank you again.

• Posted

My mom was 3 weeks out when she tripped and fell over a wire hard onto a tile floor. She was absolutely fine. Not even in pain
  • Posted

Angela, It's amazing how strong these new knees are.  I did a major fall while walking on the road 2 weeks ago, hit hard and immediately thought about my knee - almost 2 years out from tkr.  No problem with the knee, but major sprain on other ankle and elbow on TKR side.  So, I'd guess you are probably ok....but watch for swelling.  I do have to say, my knee was very stiff after this fall, but all is ok now.  Take care!

Mary Ann

• Posted

Hi Angela, I'm 3 months post second TKR, posted here that my recovery was great and it is.  The next day thugs that live next door attacked me physically.  I'm in extra pain and back to using one crutch, but I know that in a few days or so, I'll be back to my normal self.  Don't worry too much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.