Kicking my Pityriasis Rosea's butt!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I'm a 34 year old woman who was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea for the first time last week.  I had been experiencing symptoms for about a week prior to seeing a doctor.  Admittedly, this was the first time I had ever heard of such condition, and it made me really upset to hear that all I can do is wait it out.  

My doctor prescribed me an oral steroid prescription for a week, and I also took an over the counter antihistamine.  The steroid made me nauseous, and the antihistamine made me extremely fatigued.  (I almost fell asleep at the wheel, and walked into a wall at work!)  Not only that, but once my steroid prescription was up, the rash came back worse than ever!!!  

All I have to say to all of this is OH, HELL NO!!!

Thankfully, I found this message board and compiled all of the advice people have been offering.  I am putting myself on a strict routine/experiment, and am determined to kick this crappy rash to the curb ASAP.  I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Here is my plan of attack:

1. Lukewarm morning shower using Selsun Blue extra hydrating formula for soap

2. Applying Boudreaux's Maximum Strength Butt Paste (diaper rash cream with 40% zinc oxide) to the affected area

3. Supplements in the morning: Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc, Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin E, Multivitamin, Spiralina, Vitamin D, Vitamin A, Sovereign Bio-Active Hydrosol for Immune Support, 10 ppm (taking 4 drops 3 times/day)

4.  WATER!!!!  Drinking 3L minimum per day

5.  NO CARBS OR SUGAR OR SUGAR SUBSTITUTES!!!  Strict raw organic vegetable and lean protein diet.  HELLO SALADS!  This will be hard since I was trying to be a vegan, but if grains hinder the recovery of PR then BYE BYE!  (Sorry to my furry friends!)

6. Evening lukewarm shower using mild coconut oil soap (Kirk's Castile), and applying pure coconut oil to skin before bed

After some contemplation, I have decided that I am going to stay out of the tanning bed,  as I'd take PR over skin cancer any day.  Normal outside day exposure will have to suffice.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that you're suffering from this! I was diagnosed with it around 2 years ago when I was 14. Honestly the way I got rid of it (although it sounds crazy) was using St Tropez fake tan! I had stopped using it when I was diagnosed to see if it would help, however it didn't and once I used it again, my pitryasis roses cleared up in about a week. This was after about 7 months of having it. I hope you get didn't if it!!

• Posted

UPDATE SINCE MY FIRST POST!

Wanted to post an update since my first post nine days ago.  Things with me have shown improvement, but I still have the condition.

I figured out that my first symptoms (itchiness) started about 23 days ago, with the very noticeable/concerning start of the rash 19 days ago.

8-5 days ago was the span when my rash was at its worst.  I had to purchase new summer tops with long sleeves to cover the rash on my arms, and was pretty horrified by the red, widespread rash on my torso. sad

After the fifth day of this really bad period, though, things have (knock on wood) improved very much!  I still itch, but the rash has faded in color which is a HUGE morale boost.

One thing that's happened within the last couple of days--my face has become very dry and flakey.  I have had to put hydrocortizone on my face.  I'm not sure if this is related to PR or not.  It does suck, though.

Here is what I've been doing, and what I would suggest.  I hope that this is helpful, and I will post again with updates as they unfold:

- I washed my body with Head and Shoulders medicated shampoo for three days, beginning nine days ago.  It definitely dried the rash, but it made me itch like hell.  I now only bathe using Kirk's Castile, and am looking for a different all-natural coconut oil soap that is fragrance-free.  (Suggestions?)

- Extra virgin coconut oil is a dream!  I put it on all over my rash after I shower.  It helps to get rid of the itching, and I think has helped in reducing the rash.

- Bordreaux's Maximum Strength Butt Paste (diaper rash cream) has also been AMAZING!  It is 40% zinc oxide, and totally kicks the rash's butt (pun kind of intended).  It does not fully absorb into the skin, so it will leave a little white residue on your skin.  You'll notice that the rash legions hang on to the white creme, so your PR will make you look like you have white spots.  I'll take this over the red any day!  The scent is also not bad.  Not great, but not bad.

- I quite eating carbs--no breads, grains, fruits, sweets, etc.  I've been living on lean protein (egg whites, chicken, fish), dairy, and vegetables.  I think that this has helped my body process the rash, and I'm losing weight (the weight I GAINED from being vegan) which is a bonus, and helps offset the depression of having to look at the rash.

- I've also been taking regular vitamins (multi, D, B complex, spirulina, calcium/magnesium/zinc, probiotic)

- I should drink more water and less coffee.  I really need to drink more water--ugh!  Why is that so hard?!?!

In any case, I'm seeing improvement, but things got worse before they got better.  Perhaps the rash is simply doing as my doctor said it would--running it's course.  However, I do believe that my actions have helped, and are maybe even speeding up the recovery process.  

I purchased five sessions at the tanning salon, but am going to hold off on this a little longer.  Reading that the tanning bed actually made the rash more red for a few days has me nervous.  Plus, skin cancer.

Wishing all of you peace of mind as you battle PR!!!!  It's definitely not fun!!!

• Posted

Hi All!

Just wanted to say that my PR is officially gone!  It lasted a total of 42 days.  Wanting to thank you all for the support during this process--it was definitely difficult!  Here's to hoping you all a swift recovery, and that this disease never returns!  Cheers!

• Posted

Instead of going through that whole process i'd really recommend using Prreze it's a quick and simple application with guaranteed results! It's the only product that worked for me and i swear by it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.