kidney biopsy

Posted , 2 users are following.

ive got to get a kidney biopsy done soon how long before the biopsy are you not allowed to eat or drink  also when biopsys getting done apparently you have to hold your breath  how long for  as ive tried and best i can do is 12 to 15 seconds and no longer

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

You just have to hold your breath so you a still and don't move as they are taking the sample its literally 10 seconds at most nd again when they take the other bits, they always take more than one to ensure they have the cortex which is the bit they need.

• Posted

thanks for taking the time to reply helen  i know it needs to be done to try and establish the problem but im still terrified how long before you had the biopsy did you take the diazapam tablet?  also did you take your bp meds before the biopsy and if so how long before  i take mine at16-15hrs  this is the best time for me to take them as i work days/nights  i thought maybe that if bp was high before biopsy that they could give you something to bring it down  while your there i was asking about food because im eating oily fish garlic/onions more and im also having extra virgin olive oil which i have daily i was thinking that these might make me more likely to bleed trying to eat a more healthy diet i told my neph that i was vaping obviousley still getting nicotine and she seemed okay with this as now im not getting all the other nasty chemicals and tar thats in fags i smoked for a long time approx 37yrs  been 13 days now without a fag plan is to drop the nicotine strength gradually  i started on 12 and am now on  9 next step in a couple of weeks  is 6  i was reading yesterday on a site from one of the hospitals that they like you to sleep a certain way for a few days after the biopsy  any ideas on this?  could be difficult cos im going to stop at my sisters for a couple of days afterwards and i will be on the living room floor on a single air bed  anyway thanks again helen
    • Posted

Hi,

My BP tablets were twice a day so I just took them at the normal time, diazipam is something that can help with BP sometimes, all depends how bad it is.  You will be fine, I am opposite girl lol steroids are supposed to make you fat and angry and I am still skinny and chilled (said to hubby the other day haven't killed anyone yet, he said still time) we are all different I am just odd I suppose. Risk of bleeding is there whatever you eat so eat what you enjoy.  On your back is the best way to be certainly for a couple of nights after the procedure then as you were so to speak.  It doesn't take long to do the biopsy, what takes the most time is the prep so the ultra sound scan to ensure they can see everything, the actual biopsy it over in minutes, then they scan again to check to make sure no bleeding, its really that quick.  Please let me know how you get on.  Be brave kiddo smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.