Kidney/Bladder/UTI's

Posted , 3 users are following.

In the last week of Jan I was diagnosed with a bad kidney infection and given a weeks antibiotocs (can't remember the name). After 2 weeks feeling no better I went back to docs with a sample and the infection was still there and given 3 day course of antibiotocs (naturfranton (not sure of spelling)) and was told to come back again the next week with a sample. This time the sample was clear but a week later I was back with flank pain and generally feeling unwell, there was no infection in urine but I was sent for blood tests to test my kidney function etc and sent for an ultrasound. All of these tests came back clear. 2 weeks later back again feeling unwell, nausea, pain around bladder, upset stomach and received 3 day course of trimethorpin. I finished this course and finally felt normal only ten days later to be back with nausea and kidney pain and I am currently on a 5 day course of amoxicillan.

I'm not sure if this infection is one that will just not go away or recurring infections.Has anyone else ever had this problem and what did it take to get rid of the infection? I,ve never had kidney infections before and never had antibiotics before this ( I am 18 ) any help is welcome, I am sick of being sick at this point.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your having a bad time with it, sounds like the first course of anti bs didnt clear it completely and it re established and maybe by then a 3 day course wasnt long enough to clear it , and dont think trimethoprin strongest of anti bs, l and someone else l know when trimethoprin hasnt cleared infectiion weve been given kefalexin for 7days,  but when yours came back you were given another  3 day course, sounds as if not long enough for a stubborn infection maybe the 5 day course will clear it completely for you, do they test samples each time you go, and do you have frequency and pain in bladder area, have they confirmed it as def kidney infection rather than bladder. l had problem for a long time with bladder symptoms, frequency, pain, unwell, there was the odd time or two it did affect my kidney, pylonephritus one time, but had started in the bladder, later diagnosed as intersticial cystitus.  hopefully the amoxicillin will finish it off for good,  if not ask to see urologist to see whats causing infections to reoccur.  Kidney and bladder infections are horrible and do make you feel bad.  Hope it settles soon
    • Posted

The docs confirmed it as kidney infection and my urine samples have been sent to lab but each time they come back they docs tell me they came back clear which i dont understand. I have had urgency but seems to be settling down now hopefully it is finally starting to clear up.
  • Posted

Ted, how awful for you.  It does sound as though they have at least monitored you well via the ultrasound investigation and it's good to hear that the results were clear.  I do know that when someone presents with a urine infection, it is important to test the specimen for the kind of bacteria present - each type of bacteria needs it's own specific treatment.  The usual dipstick test they do at the surgery only reveals infection, not the type of bacteria present - the specimen needs to go off to the lab.  Perhaps you should ask for referral to a consultant  - a urologist maybe - for reassurance.  Meanwhile, treatment of the infection is important to stop the problem reaching the kidneys.
  • Posted

Just after coming back from emergency docs. Found out that I actually have no infection and was prescribed antibiotics for no reason. All my symptoms were in fact side effects of the amoxicillan, hopefully now I can start to get better.
    • Posted

How weird, Ted - you obviously had a problem in the beginning that took you to the GP in the first place.  From then on it sounds a puzzle.  Hopefully now it's onwards and upwards for you - good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.