Kidney Cancer post surgery pain

Posted , 22 users are following.

I am just over 12 months post kidney cancer surgery. I was diagnosed following sudden pain and hemorrhage and was rushed into hospital needing embolisation after which both kidney and tumor were removed. Prior to this I had no health problems and suffered no pain. After surgery I had bad back pain that was dismissed at the time, I changed consultants and hospital due to poor after care. Since then the pain has persisted and is now accompanied by some right abdominal pain. I take gabapentin pain relief daily but there is no firm diagnosis of why the pain persists other than possible nerve damage. My GP has been excellent.

Is there anyone else suffering similar following nephrectomy? Debbie

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for your input debflo38.  I had a similar experience with hemorrhaging two weeks after right partial nephrectomy in 2016.  Had the embolization with three coils, followed by six months of a ureteral stint. Ever since I've had severe pain all around the right thoracic area for 17 months and counting.  I've had several spinal injections thinking it to be nerve damage. Had a PET scan, MRI,  numerous CT scans and have not been able to discover the etiology of my pain. Taking oxycodone 4Xday for minimum relief. It's very discouraging to live like this but, fortunately, I have a husband who has seen all I've gone through and understands.

• Posted

Hi debflo38. I am new to this group. Hoping for some help. My Dr has said I have a mass in my Kidney. Because of the amount of growth in a short time, and the houndsfield units in my 3 phase CT, the Dr says it is a 80% chance it is clear cell carcinoma. He suggests a radical nephrectomy because of the location of the tumor. He say ablation is an option, but may take 2 or 3 treatments over a year or two, and still may not get rid of it. Not an option he suggests. The tumor is in the middle of my kidney.  He says a needle biopsy is dangerous in the kidney, because cancer cells can be released and spread. As we get closer to surgery date, Oct 16th, 2017, I am getting quite nervous. What if they take it out and it is not cancer?  Then I just had a major organ removed, for what?  Is this normal to give a patient a percentage like this, AND still do surgery? Should I insist on a biopsy? If I agree to the surgery, which, I already have, but as I said, I am getting nervous, freaking out, actually, What should I expect in the recovery stage?  Any insight you can give will be greatly appreciated. 
    • Posted

Hi JCLIF, the Docs know pretty much what they are doing. They see pictures like yours on a regular basis and don't make too many mistakes. I am assuming you will have had your op by now. I hope everything went well. Reading your post I would assume you had your entire kidney removed. The better news would be that a full nephrectomy is easier to recover from than a partial. And stop freaking. You can manage perfectly on one kidney. And it is better safe than sorry. Just don't play rugby or drive to fast, when you can drive again I mean. Best wishes for your recovery.

• Posted

Rest lots... go slow and let your body recover at its own pace.... talk talk talk to your doctor's and know everything.

• Posted

I had my left kidney removed last October 2016 after being diagnosed with RCC stage 2. Fortunately, the mass was contained in the kidney and did not metastasise anywhere else. So other than the Surgery, no other treatment needed. I’ve had regular ct scans since which have all come back clear, the most recent one in September. However, I get little pings mostly in my abdomen area, not painful but enough to notice. A year on and I guess things are still settling down. I also practice Yoga regularly which definitely stretches the abdomen and some postures are designed to affect internal organs. The biggest challenge in all of it is managing the anxiety. How are things 3 years on ?
  • Posted

I just registered. I had a total nephrectomy about three and a half years ago. So far all is well. I go every six month for Ct scans, blood and see my doctor. I do however have not so much pain but discomfort on the same side of my operation just below my rib cage and also on my back!
  • Posted

Hi All, I'm sorry I hadn't logged into this discussion for years, it's been 4 years since I first posted. I am now a matter of weeks away from my 5th anniversary since diagnosis and so far so good - no stowaways. However, the pain is still consistent. I have good weeks and bad ones but it's pretty much the same pain. It would seem that this is due to nerve damage and that there's very little I can do about it other than take drugs like gabapentin. Having been reliant on this for over 2 years and finding it hard to wean myself off I try and avoid any medication if I can as I don;t want to jeapardise my remaining kidney. Despite pain I attend yoga 2-3 times a week which has been marvelous and I would recommend to all. Also I started running just over 2 years ago, surprisingly I find this easier than walking even! Last October I completed a half marathon and I am due to run a full marathon in May - both for kidney cancer charities. It's far from easy and I'm currently wishing I hadn't committed but it keeps me going. I hope everyone is doing well, thanks for all the input, it has been good to know I'm not alone.

• Posted

I had kidney removed in May 2022, recovered well and returned to work about 6 weeks later.

However, 6 months on I have started to suffer with lower back pain on the right side of lower back.

At first it felt like pressure pain in buttock pushing on spine, but it has since started causing pain around thigh, groin and headaches. I have never had back pain like this before, i spoke to a doctor and he tells me its join pain. Has anyone else had this kind of lower back pain post nephodectomy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.