Kidney Cyst

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have only one kidney.  On remaining kidney I have a large 9cm X 9cm "simple" cyst.  My twice a year ultrasounds show this cyst is growing about 1/4 inch between ultrasounds.  I had appointment with urologist and expressed my concern and asked should we not drain it or remove it.  He immediately responded no, we leave it alone.  Sometimes doing something causes more harm than good.  But everything I read on the internet says the procedures to drain or remove are usually quite successful.  I pressed him for more information but he just said nothing (I have never had a good feeling with this doctor but there is only one urology practice in our area).  It does not hurt me in any way but I anticipate this thing growing into something large like a grapefruit, and then what.  Anyone have similar experiences?  Do they ever stop growing?  I just get the feeling that since I am stage 3 CKD (due to the removal of the other kidney, while this one seems to be doing okay) that he anticipates my death before the cyst becomes a problem.  I read on internet that the average stage 3 CKD survival rate is only 5 years.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Rick, be careful what you read on the internet - there are only a few reliable sites, for instance the NHS and the Mayo Clinic to name just a couple.  As far as CKD3 is concerned, millions of people fall into that category and can remain stable for years.  It is about 10 years since I was so diagnosed.  Admittedly, in my case, the eGRF has continued to reduce, parlty because of the difficult-to-treat high blood pressure effect on my sole kidney.  I feel you should really be under a renal consultant/nephrologist, especially as you mention you are under a urologist who you are not particularly happy with.  Do get a second opinion and preferably from a renal consultant.
  • Posted

Rick, are you seeing a nephrologist? If not, that's what I'd suggest. A nephrologist would be best to advise regarding any kidney treatment needed or lack thereof.

Marj

• Posted

Hi.  I have had one appointment on Feb 05 with a nephrologist.  She ran extensive urine and blood tests.  No proteins found in urine.  All urine levels within normal range except phosphorus was just 1 point too low (told to eat more nuts and beans).  Blood work my BUN was 30 (way high) and my Creatinine was 1.7, which produced a GFR of 40.  7 days later my urologist ran the same blood work, at the same lab, and my BUN was just 22 (normal range) but the Creatinine went to 1.76 which created a GFR down one point to 39.  He does not want to retest for another 6 months.  I have no clue if these fluctuations are normal or not.  To drop from 30 to 22 seems huge to me for one week.  To go up .06 in Creatinine and thus GFR down a point is disappointing, but I don't know if these type of changes, up or down a little each time, is normal.

• Posted

My nephrologist has told me that BUN data does fluctuate quite a lot. It actually sounds like your renal data is fairly stable which is a good thing.

Of course it's difficult not to stress out about it but you've got a good amount of renal function and it appears to be pretty stable. Both are important.

I would love to have as much function as you've got. However, I'm thankful to still be feeling quite well. I just focus on following the dietary restrictions daily, taking my meds, and exercising. I'm also monitoring my blood pressure several times a day.

Other than all of that I try to have a normal day and do things I enjoy while I still can🐶 This is certainly easier to do some days than other days. But the more normalcy I can maintain on a daily basis, the better I feel and the better the day goes. I'm also still working full time which I really enjoy.

Best wishes!

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.