Kidney Disease and Pregnancy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently found out I am 6 weeks pregnant. I am truly excited as babies are a blessing and well I had previously been told getting pregnant would be hard in the 1st place. I am nervous since I have lupus nephritis and my nephrologist keeps warning me about kidney failure, my kidneys getting worse, miscarriages, etc. I am probably the healthiest I've been since being diagnosed which is definitely a plus. I've had people telling me I should have an abortion but that doesn't sit well with me. Has anyone with kidney disease or similar had a success pregnany? What issues did you encounter? Any information would be helpful!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think congratulations are in order!   You mentioned you see a nephrologist.  What is that doctors opinion on your being pregnant.  You mention that your doctor says your kidney is failing.  Is this both or just one kidney?  Do you know your gfr currently to share with us.  Before you make abortion decision, get the nephrologist decision immediately.  What does your regular doctor say about being pregnant.  This is a very personal decision.  Do not make your choice on what others advise.  Make your choice on what your doctors advise.  It is easy for people to say have an abortion or not.  But they make their recommendation without factual knowledge that only own doctors can tell you.  I would just add one thing.  Without knowing the seriousness of your kidney condition.  But if the prognosis is not good.  And you decide you want the child.  Is there a support system in place to care for this child when the necessary time comes?  Think of yourself, think of the child, but listen to the doctors, not friends, not people like me on here.  It is too personal.
    • Posted

Thank you!! I am trying to find the recent blood work results I had about 3 weeks ago. Dr was pleased with the results... kidney function good. Low protein in my urine etc. Both of my kidneys are affected. Of course when I want them, they disappear but I will pay that info soon. Sorry. My nephrologist isn't leaning either way with the pregnancy at this point but he is just letting me know of what could happen with my kidneys and the pregnacy alone... I think he just wants me to be aware. I go for a 2nd ultrasound in 2 wks, have another round of blood work for him to review and then an appointment so I should know more then. I also need to find a high risk obgyn. I guess it's just my being nervous. I want my baby to be healthy and I want to be okay as well especially with already having a son who counts on me. Right now my sister is the only one aware of the pregnacy outside of the father. She is very supportive on all levels as I am sure the rest of my family would be.

• Posted

I just want to share my GFR.

Non African American shows 50L

African American 59L

Creatinine 1.34

Protein 9

Creatinine, random urine 23

Not sure if it helps.

• Posted

imher,I echo all that Rick has said.  The kidneys take quite a bashing in pregnancy.  However, although having just a sole kidney, I went through one successful pregnancy and one miscarriage with my kidney function remaining intact.  And that was years ago, with research/science etc coming a very long way since then.  With you having achieved pregnancy at a stage when your lupus is under good control, everything augurs well for you.  You say your nephrologist keeps warning you about kidney failure - what has he said since hearing you became pregnant?  Have a good discussion with him/her, preparing a list of questions running through your head to take to your appointment - at the time, it is all too easy to forget what you wanted to ask.  Also, get in touch with the Lupus UK - there is a Lupus forum on the HealthUnlocked site, and if you post your question there, you may get replies of their pregnancy experiences from other Lupus patients.  But your No 1 support/adviser should be your nephrologist who knows your history and who will be able to monitor you closely, linking up with your obstetric consultant along the way.  Never be afraid to ask for a second expert/medical opinion if you feel the need.  All the very best, and do come back and let us know how you get on.  
    • Posted

Good suggestion about having a list of questions because I tend to forget what I want to ask when we talk. I will also check out the site you said. Thank you. I appreciate you sharing your story. It makes me feel more positive. My lupus had very little activity.... I just feel more tired at times than anything. It flared after having my son and affected my kidneys but it's been in remission since so nearly 6 years. Maybe there is something I can take during pregnancy to keep it in remission??

• Posted

Your reply does now raise a question in my mind.  As it was a previous pregnancy and birth that caused the lupus to affect your kidneys, you really need to know what the likelihood is of an even worse effect on your kidney function from a second pregnancy.  This puts a bit of a different slant on it for me as after having had my son and then the second pregnancy ending in a miscarriage (even a miscarriage is considered a pregnancy), I then decided that rather than putting my sole kidney through the trauma of another pregnancy, I would avoid that risk, counting my blessings that I had one healthy child and I wanted to stay healthy to bring him up.  Think hard and do ask all the questions of your medics before deciding.  
    • Posted

I understand your question. My pregnancy at the time my son was born is kind of an assumption. I could have had kidney issues prior to getting pregnant but the cant say definitively... just like my lupus. I definitely need to ask all of my Dr's about the connection. It's a very tough decision.

• Posted

I so understand it is a tough decision.  The results of your upcoming scans and that chat with those caring for you will help you to make the right decision for you I am sure.   Meanwhile, take special care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.