Kidney function declining rapidly

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

For quite a few months I've not been feeling right. Mainly just unbelievable fatigue, but i run periods where my heart rate fluctuates like crazy, i get palpatations, my appetite just isn't there though it hasn't resulted in weight loss. I had sustained hair loss and i would often get a weird dull feeling on my right side of the back which would at times creep towards the front.

I went to the GP in January after having had a period over Christmas feeling very ill with also now daily having had runny stools daily.

She ran some blood tests which just showed very low Vitamin D.

My iron was stores were high but normal, potassium, albumin,  phosphate were all high but within normal range. My creatine was 62 and my gfr was 90.

I was given Vit D tablets and sent on my way.

Come March I still wasn't feeling right but then lockdown happened, and by this point my heart issues were  becoming really pronounced. So after waiting a while longer i went private and had some more blood tests.

This time it came back that my creatine was 115, gfr 50, Albumin53, bilirubin now showing up as an issue at 23.

Also my iron stores were higher than normal range now.

I drink plenty of water, especially now that I can't just pop into any store so I'm certainly not dehydrated.

I am not on a high protein diet and nor am i on any medications. I stopped taking the vitamin D when my course ran out in Feb. 

Any ideas on what this could be? The nurses just seem adamant that it's I am dehydrated and eating a lot of red meat and tell me to retest in 90 days.

I am concerned that if i have dropped so much in function in 4 months, come 90 days I'll be worse off.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

i don't have renal disease but my mother does, so i've done a lot of research on the illness, and one thing i learnt is not all renal patients have the same progression and symptoms, (although were not all the same) you said your not on medications..., is your 'urea' high? Regarding your potassium if it's high it certainly can contribute to heart issues ask your Dr more about this as there is medication to regulate high potassium ? Also which country are you in, so I can understand the numbers your quoting..., I'm guessing you're in Australian not America? and what is your age?

in regards to protein do not exceed 0.8 grams per body weight, most renal diets allow for far too much protein, even a healthy normal person who is not on a reduced protein diet should only be eating 0.8 grams of protein per each 1 kilogram of body weight, Example: if you weight 55 kilograms times your weight by 0.8 grams = 44 grams (this is a very small amount of protein and the maximum daily amount for a normally healthy person, so renal patients should be on even less then 0.8 grams per every 1 kilogram of body weight

• Posted

Hi,

thanks for replying. I'm in the UK and am 28 years old. Not sure if that's why the nurse had scared the life out of me.

Nothing at all has changed of what i do, eat or meds i take ( i take nothing) to warrant the numbers have changed so much. I appreciate others have it much off but looking back on all my bloods tests, i have never had these readings. My liver and kidneys have always shown to be just fine, never had abnormal readings until now.

Also, when the nurse saw my previous numbers compared to those now, she said those really weren't good at all but that due to my age it cant be anything bad and that i must simply not be drinking much and eating a lot meat- which i am not....

so have been left feeling rather fobbed off currently.

On Monday I went elsewhere to have a re test ...didn't feel comfortable waiting just another 3 months.

i'll know if my numbers continue to go down, stay the same or have improved.

• Posted

A creatinine level of 115 umol/l is not serious many renal patients have a creatinine level in excess of 1000 unol/l, and your eGFR of 50 can't be regarded normal or abnormal until it's calculated against your age... I know an, 80 year old who had a routine blood test eGFR came back as 54 further tests were done and no underlying illnesses were discovered and she was told her 54 eGFR was not a health issue.

I'm not a doctor but I'd doubt very much you're feeling tired due to a creatimine level of 115 and an eGFR of 50

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.