Kidney GFR going down

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am almost 80 years old (in September). In the last few months my GFR has been going down and it is now at 37. My creatine is 1.40, glucose 110 , potassium 5.3. Everything else in my blood work is within normal range. I feel okay, don't have any symptoms that would indicate kidney disease. I drink plenty of water, urinate often enough. My appetite is good and I have plenty of energy. I take Simvastatin, 20 mg, Lisinopril 5 mg, D3 and B12.

What bothers me is a prolapsed bladder and it's at the point where I can feel it at the entrance to my vagina. I have been inserting a Kegel ball into my vagina and it seems to hold my bladder up enough so that I don't have backaches.

I'm just wondering if the prolapsed bladder is causing trouble with my kidneys. I have taken an ultrasound (good result, kidneys look fine my doctor said), MRI for lumbar (don't know yet on that).

I have an appointment with a nephrologist on 7/22 and hope to find out what's going on.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

The National Kidney Foundation maintains a GFR calculator web page. Just put in "National Kidney Foundation GFR calculator" into a search engine. The web page contains a lot of information about kidney disease. Going through the accompanying web site will definitely help when you talk to your nephrologist. Remember GFR is kind of a guideline number. To confirm and treat kidney disease your doctor will have to find out specifically what is wrong. You will notice that advanced age is a big factor in low GFR . More importantly you will see that you are missing your uranalysis test results .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.