Kidney health function questions

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started noticing dull pain sensation in left kidney every time after drinking alcohol starting 3 years ago. It was directly correlated to drinking alcohol as the symptoms were not present otherwise. Drinking has in my opinion been done in moderation however for the past 2-3 years I have stopped drinking altogether. There were however maybe 2 or 3 occasions when I was younger in which I drank to the point where I may have done some long term damage. Recently, slight twinges and pain sensations in both kidneys have come about recently even after not drinking alcohol. Questions are below:

I was not aware of kidney pain being related to alcohol, is this common?

Is it possible for 2 or 3 heavy drinking events to cause long term damage to kidneys or would it have to be an accumulation of heavy drinking over time?

What are the gold standard tests/exams to check for kidney function?

How are kidney donors tested to confirm they have healthy kidneys for transplants?

What are some tips to promote healthy kidney function?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi

This is not a medical site with Doctors who can answer your questions.

Make an appointment with your Doctor and get a check up.

It is unlikely your kidneys are affected and the pain caused by drinking alcohol could be many things gastritis, pancreatitis, gallbladder, liver etc

Good luck with your Doc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.