Kidney Infection

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi - just finished a course of antibiotics for KI and I feel so listless, no energy at all and feel washed out following diarrhoea and being sick etc.,  is this normal and how do I know if infection has gone? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It's pretty much normal yes the antibiotics are cruel to the body I had a kidney infection months ago and till now I feel kinda weak energyless cos the antibiotics have really affected my GI and I had a diarrhea as a side effect 

personally I'de advise taking some rest and aslong as the pain has gone it's a start

take care of reoccurance i would recommend another urine test and culture post treatment JUST and JUST to clear your mind that the infection has gone away

I would recommend that you get back on tract steadily eat healthy foods lots of greens and drink water and raise your concerns to a doctor and ask if this is normal or not

get well soon  

• Posted

Thank u so much, I was being sick, diarrhoea, and had to get GP to do a house call.  She said I was v dehydrated etc., and had an infection, so went on antibiotics and drinking dyorlite - I've lost so much weight and am totally wiped out, I've taken antibiotics for sinus infections before but none of them have me feeling this bad.  I hope to go to GPs on Wednesday am to get it checked, that's if I can find the energy.  Thanks again for your reply, sometimes I think it's only me, but it's not unfortunately.  Take care.
    • Posted

no worries Jean I hope you get well soon it just sounds like my case exactly I was very dehydrated once i remember drinking 4 leters an hour IMAGINE my mouth would never get enough and was always dry 

but you should make sure that you drink enough water it was what actually cured me along with the antibiotics drink and urinate then drink and urinate UNLESS your doctor says otherwise I also lost weight went from 50kg to 47kg I'm underweight now and still feel unwell but I can walk and drive and go out my activity is fine now you'll get your health back but I'm afraid to say it will take a while 

get well soon 

• Posted

Well I took your advice to have it checked to see if infection was gone, it hadn't,   so now on antibiotics for 10 days, just as well you mentioned it.  Hopefully they kill it off so that I can get some energy back and rid of the light feeling of sickness.  Thank you for the advice. 
    • Posted

hey Jean 

well it's a good thing you got tested 

please as I said make sure u drink plenty of water cos that'll help wash away ur infection faster 

did u have a basic urinalysis ? or a culture ? what was the bacteria that caused ur infection ? 

take care and along with the antibiotics try to eat well and drink fluids stay away from sugars and take vit C it's good for your immunity 

and after the course of antibiotics wait 2 days and take another test just be careful of what type of antibiotic you've been given some like Cypro have horrible side effects so if you've been given Cypro go to ur GP to drop the treatment and change another one 

regards 

• Posted

Hi.  Well went to GP last Wednesday & he tested urine & infection still there.  Put me on Keflex for ten days, was fine until this morning & have the runs, typical when I can't either ring or go down to Dr. as they are closed Sat/Sun. Afraid to take anything for it just in case I'm not meant to, this is just endless.  All I can do is see how I go & go back again to GP on Monday.  It's wearing me down the whole thing, but I suppose I could be worse 😏
    • Posted

I was put on Cefix from the very first time and it worked for me at least it moved away the infection i didn't do a urinalysis afterwards but I did take the urine culture and it was negative I'm gonna go back to have a urinalysis cos I think my infection is back 

good luck just stick to the medicine and recovery is gauranteed just take all precautions it will take some time but don't worry it'll go away eventually UTI's can be stubborn most of the times

• Posted

Thanks so much, I just feel like I take one step forward and two back and after weeks of being unwell,  getting tired of it, but I keep telling myself a lot of people are a lot worse off, but at the minute I'm just drained.  Thanks again for speedy reply I will keep taking them and see how I go.  have a nice weekend. J. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.