Kidney infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed nitrofirantoin as I'm allergic to the others 8days ago. Pain is worsening, vomiting and uncountable visits to the toilet. Shivering despite paracetamol. Praying that I have not got sepsis again. Anyone got any advice please. I have changed my indwelling catheter. Don't know what else to do. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

From what I've learned, Nitrofurantoin is not going to work for a Kidney infection.  Bladder infection, yes.  Are you allergic to 'every' other suseptible antibiotic?  If I were in your condition, I would try to find a doctor to put me in the hospital and go on IV drugs.  Have you taken your temperature?  If it is high, then you need to go to the hospital.  Especially if you have had sepsis before.

Is this the first time you have taken Nitrofuratoin?  The vomiting could be caused from that or it could be caused from a fever, if you have one.  The paracetamol might help with the fever, but not an infection.

• Posted

Many thanks for you're response. I am always given Nitrofirantoin, so no worries there. Yes all the others containing penicillin I am hypo allergic to them. Temperature is 104, yes I have had sepsis 3 times. Caused by kidney infection and ecoli. I never know when its time to go to hospital, worry about wasting their valuable resources. X

• Posted

Please get yourself to the ER/A&E.  The antibiotics aren't doing you any good and by now you could be seriously ill.  

• Posted

Thank you for replying. Don't want to waste their time.X

• Posted

Let them decide if you're wasting their time!

• Posted

You need to get to the ER/A&E.  Sepsis is life threatening as you know--please get yourself some help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.