Kidney issues? Need some advice/knowledge on this

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.

Ive been feeling crap for around a year now. It started off as a digestive concern ie fatty stools, some intermittent cramping, fatigue etc. Explained my symptoms and Coeliac disease was mentioned. As time has gone on, it has seemingly morphed from being digestive, to some kidney issues and more diziness etc.

I stopped eating gluten and noticed an improvement, no more bloating etc. I then have had to begin eating gluten again because I have an upcoming Gastroscopy and they need me to do this to give them a clear view/result. Yesterday I had some pastry, only a little, and I had a headache, dizzy, some bloating and felt so tired (slower heart rate no energy etc). I dont know what to do..

My doctor has actually told me to get tested for an STD, just to cover all bases and be sure it isnt that that has been left that long that its caused some deeper issues.I am finishing up a course of Doxycycline because there was some urethritis.After my STD results come back, then I can be allowed a Kidney Ultrasound my doc says.

My present symptoms : .

-Burning after peeing mainly in morning (kinda like my urethra is kinda obstructed/inflamed) its odd.

-Persistent dizziness

-Sometimes confusion (sounds weird.. kinda like disorientation / severe brain fog)

-Intermittent left lower back pain (not severe.. kinda like someone digging their knuckle into my left lower back area) comes and goes

-Persistent fatigue (im an active person but lately I cant be bothered to get up and about as much)

-Sometimes a little short of breath .. like I sigh quite a bit just to kinda catch it..

-Recently some headaches here and there nothing chronic

-Random muscle twitches and flutters

-Mild Tinnitus

My test results :

• FAECAL CALPROTECTIN - 73 ug/g (2018) --->43 ug/g (APR 2019).
  • IgA COELIAC BLOOD TEST - Negative
  • HLA TYPING FOR COELIAC - Positive
  • Docs urine dipstick shows blood/protein. Futher urinalysis shows no UTI, blood or other infection (x2).
  • VITAMIN D INSUFFICIENCY - 45 nmol/l
  • SERUM CREATININE - 106 umol/l
  • SERUM POTASSIUM - 4.3 mmol/l
  • SERUM UREA - 7.5 mmol/l
  • SERUM TOTAL PROTEIN - 79 g/l
  • eGFR - 83 mL (etc)

Is there a possibility both these issues are linked? Im just sick of feeling drained of energy and zapped and dizzy! Please if anyone can shed some knowledge on possible causes dont hesistate to help me! thanks!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, doesn't really sound like kidney, more like liver, however seeing as you noticed an improvement after cutting out the gluten and fatty stuffs I would suggest its your diet!

Since I cut out sugar and carbs I have felt amazing! and lost some of the fatty bits I was carrying.

I would have all your tests then go back on your eating plan that made you feel better!

Good luck x

• Posted

I had a liver function test and everything was normal. Plus I gave up drinking mid 2018 so I doubt it is liver based. The serum results point to slight kidney dysfunction. Whether this is a cause issue or a knock on issue caused by something else, I dont know.

May I ask why you cut out carbs and sugar? I need to cut sugar out its just so difficult!

• Posted

Hi, your kidney function seems ok, creatine slightly up but could be one off.

I started a low carb high fat diet to improve my health. I was eating too much sugar and carbs to the extent that I would always crash after my dinner, I would feel lethargic and tired all the time and on some occasions my blood sugar would drop.

Im not diabetic nor overweight I had CKD3 b but 2 months into my new healthy eating my EGFR has gone from 41 to 56! So now I'm ckd3a and I am determined to get it up to 60.

My Consultant said it was because I cut out sugar.

I can honestly say I feel alive, im so much better, no crashes, no feeling lethargic and ive lost my flabby bits.

I substitute my sugar with stevia / erythitol so I still have cakes etc but use almond flour and erythitol instead.

I really think you should go back to your healthy eating that made you feel good.

Hope you can do something to make you feel better, I think we are all guilty of wanting to blame our ills on something medical .

Good luck x

• Posted

i dont know anything about CKD but just been told i have CKD3. i dont smoke or drink. i have generalised anxiety disorder and since this recent diagnosis the anxiety is much worse. what has caused this. i keep getting utis in last few years, could it be related? im so down about it all.

• Posted

Are you Anemic? Vitamin D should be corrected also. Is your urine, cloudy, bubbly or foamy. Do you eat a high protein diet? It might not hurt to ask your doctor to do a 24 urine for creatinine clearance just to be safe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.