KIdney lab results confusing

Posted , 6 users are following.

My eGFR has dropped from 70 to 55 and holding around 53 for 3 years. Creatinine is up from 1.06 to 1.12. Bun/C ratio 15, albumin 4.1, BUN 17. 

Do I need cystatin c test? I do have trace amount of blood in urine and have had moderate leukocytes in urine off and on for years. I have urinary retention and frequency issues too. 

Ultrasound of bladder and kidneys was normal. Just a cyst on one kidney. 

Also have heart aneurysm, PFO and Factor V Leiden. 

What the heck dies all this mean? 

I have a good doc but I want your thoughts. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Ann you have confused me some.  If your creatinine is 1.12 this is in the "normal" range and while I am not a doctor I do not see how this gives you a egfr of just 53.   Your bun/creatinine ratio also is in the "normal" range.  A BUN level of 17 is also in the normal range.  So it seems the only number that is just slightly below "normal" is egfr (although with your creatinine level I don't know how this is the number).  The doctor did an ultrasound and found nothing.   Your PFO must be very minor since you do not mention that any doctor has decided to do any procedure to fix it.  Lastly you say you have a good doctor.  That is most important.  Obviously he has no concerns, so I would say you should not either.

• Posted

Anne,

I'm a firm believer in patients asking their doctors to explain lab results. Our doctors should commit themselves to doing this--they should be able to do it in a way that makes sense to persons without medical degrees.

Does your doctor have a patient portal? If so, you could put your questions into a message you send to your doctor via your patient portal. Either your doctor or his/her nurse should message back yo you with an explanation.

Marj

• Posted

Is it possible that you were dehydrated when you had your labs done? You can bring up your sGFR by drinking a lot of water so isn't it possible that you just hadn't hydrated?  At your age you should be somewhere between 60-84 eGFR.  BUT, your numbers could be off if you're dehydrated don't you think? I mean your other numbers are good so it's the only thing I can think of as to why your eGFR doesn't match your numbers. Just a thought. That could be why your Dr isn't concerned.

• Posted

IMHO, the results you posted look pretty good. Mine are much worse and my nephrologist said I can live a normal life for 30 years. Just have to watch diet, low salt, low protein, exercise. BP is very important. My BP is very normal. I have many cysts on my kidneys, PKD, not inherited. Just have to drink a lot of water.

My numbers, GFR 41, Creatinine 1.3 so you're in pretty good shape.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.