Kidney stent

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone. 

Just looking for some general advice and people to chat to in the same situation as myself. 

5 weeks ago I was admitted to hospotsl via A and E with severe hydronphroses, and was diagnosed with a large 10mm stone in my right kidney. Stone was lodged in the tube between my right kidney and my bladder stopping the flow of urine. 

I was taken to theatre and had a stent inserted but the stone was kept in. 

I have had the worse 5 weeks of my life, I've had to move back with my parents to help me care for my child, I've been unable to walk or move without being in agony. 

On Sunday I took myself back to A and E as I couldn't cope and have now been told I will have an operation tomorrow to hopefully remove the stone and stent but they may have to keep the stent in. I've been told if the stent stays in it will be removed under local anaesthetic in a few weeks time. Does anyone have any experience of the stent staying in once a stone is removed? Is the pain the same? And how painful is it to have the stent removed? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I’m in the uk

I had a pre op 4 weeks ago they said I’m in over night for this they havnt gave any other info really. I was constantly at the docs and the out of hours docs. I’ve got constant urine infection which does not seem to be giving up anytime soon. Struggling with kids and work. What is the usual time for a stent to be in for? Some days I wake up and am so sick I’ve lost appetite and just over a stone in weight. No one seems to be listening to me. I visited a and e and they’ve told me I have to wait for my ‘urgent’ appointment to come through. I don’t know what else to do I’m at breaking point.

• Posted

I think stents can be in for up to 3 months. I was initially told mine would only be in for 3 weeks and I ended up having it for 7 weeks before I got it removed. 

What medication are you on? I found the diclofenac suppositories worked best. I took a 100mg in the morning and a 50mg at night, I was also prescribed morphine by my GP for pain relief but this didn’t really work and I took regular paracetamol. 

I can only suggest you phone your GP to see if they can help in any way? Contact the hospital she PALS team and complains about the length of time your urgent operation is taking and keep taking yourself to A and E. After my 3rd trip they admitted me as I told the Dr in A and E that I couldn’t cope with the pain and i was in tears. I had to be admitted for 3 days for pain management and they removed the stent during that time. 

I know how hard it is with Children. I’m a single mum and my boy was only 1 at the time and I couldn’t do anything with him, even picking him up was difficult. 

I really hope you get your stent removed soon, they are horrid and shouldn’t be allowed to be used!! 

Laura 

• Posted

Also if you can afford too or if you get sick pay your Dr should sign you off sick whilst you have your stent / infections. X 
  • Posted

Hi Laura

I too have a kidney stone again 5th one in 18 yrs. my first stone was herendous my stone was undetected on the scab since it lodged right at the top of my ureter tube. I also had a stent on a general anaesthetic never knew this was going to happen. They also blasted my stone the same day. I also recall having an infection in my tube which meant that the fragments would find it difficult to pass and could cause further infection hence the reason for the stent. Yes I had the stent in for what seemed longer than necessary but it was critical to my recovery. I also had the stent removed under a local anaesthetic.  I have to say this wasn’t pleasant as they use camera with Micro forceps to remove the stent. But they do try to make it as comfortable as possible and it was done in next to no time

• Posted

Hi all. I still am awaiting my stent removal. Since November. Over the weekend I’ve been in pain on the side the stent is right down into my groin and strangely down my leg. Has anyone experienced this?? My partner says maybe the stone is moving but I’m not too sure. I’ve lost my appetite have yet another water infection have again today called the hospital and yet again still no appointment 😢

• Posted

I really feel for you.

Praying for you.

Take care and keep in tooch

Sarah

• Posted

hi i hsd ny stent in 2 weeks ago from today .it killed me after I had it done .have to go back this Thursday to remove it .to be honest am scared .I can't take the pain after it's out .I heard its going to be the same pain meaning the stent side effects .. God help me (

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.