Kidney Stent

Posted , 9 users are following.

This is a warning to anybody undergoing a procedure to insert a kidney stent.

As with most, I looked online and read some of the horrific reviews of pain and side effects. I naively assumed this was not the ‘norm’ and I would be ok.

The pain is unbearable. The worst I have ever encountered. In hindsight I wish I hadn’t had it done, but knowing that it had to be done and that it will soon be out has been my only saving grace.

I can only describe the pain as the worst stomach ache ever, and passing urine is on a whole different level (bladder and kidney spasms).  Just make sure that before leaving hospital you have tons of drugs that see you through. Paracetamol will not be enough.

I’m a week into this ordeal and the pain has eased some but not enough to return to work (my Dr said I would be off for a couple of days).  A lot of the NHS information states you ‘may’ experience discomfort, you ‘may’ find it difficult to sleep etc etc. This is all lies. You will be in pain, you will pass a ridiculous amount of blood, you will want to curl up in a corner and you will probably not go back to work in a few days.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, just sharing my experience.

Good luck.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Terry..I have had kidney stents in my near past for 8 months consecutive. I really do know your pain. It does get a wee bit better..meaning you get used to the discomfort. The feeling of having to pee constant was worse for me..sometimes 60 70 times a day...that doesn't go away...hang in there and hopefully the stent will be removed soon. Also the blood is normal..sometimes my urine looked like tomato juice...and my doctor never gave strong pain meds.I did suffer quite a bit.

• Posted

My experience was not that intense. Only discomfort until stent removal. This was the worst part for me until my PCNL. I felt no pain with stent removal and the prescribed pain meds controlled the pain very well.
    • Posted

Thankfully I’m having a general for the removal. Makes my eyes water the thought of being awake for it.
    • Posted

Oh, I know your pain!!! And whatever you do... have the general!!! I didn't!! 😲 No wonder he made me tilt by sitting on my hands, I would of punched him if they were not under my bottom, busy tilting it!!! I'm due major kidney surgery towards end of year ( been delaying as scared Whitless) I know I will be having a stent fitted. My body actually tries to reject them. May your pain lessen and the time for removal speeds up xx

• Posted

Tomorrow is d-day. Cannot  wait to get it out. Good luck with you let Op.
    • Posted

Meant to be good like with your Op.
  • Posted

Hi 

I had a kidney stent in for 8 weeks and I agree, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced ( and I gave birth a year ago). I ended up being off work for 3 months and had to have 3 operations! 

I found diclofenac suppositories worked best for me if you can get these from your GP.  100mg and 50mg, you can have a total of 150mg per day. Combined with oral morphine for the horrid spasms. I had a stent in to bypass a stone that they couldn’t remove in the first operation. It was 1cm and was stuck between my kidney and bladder.  

In the end I kept taking myself to A and E until they had no choice but to remove it as an “emergency case” 

I’ve got to have another operation later this year to remove a 7mm stone that is still in my kidney. I am praying they don’t put another stent in. 

• Posted

I am sorry to that you have had severe symptoms. For anyone reading this who hasn't had a stent this is the far extreme of experiences. For the vast majority of people they have discomfort when urinating, blood, frequency and urgency whilst the stent is in which then settles after the stent is removed.

Sadly there is the possibility of getting the severe symptoms described here and seeking help if you have these severe symptoms for pain relief from your GP or hospital is important.

The non-general removal (flexible cystoscopy) is quick and the idea is far worse than most people's actual experience. Again, there are people who have extreme experiences but this is thankfully quite rare.

I wish you well for the future

• Posted

I have had kidney stents three times and they all sucked!  In every case I had them for two weeks after lithotrypsy.  The first 2-3 days were very unpleasant with brutal cramps and a feeling of p*****g razors, especially the first 24 hours. After than it became manageable until removal.  Ugh, that’s the worst of it for me.  General anesthesia was never offered, nor really any pain meds at all.  “It’s quick and there will be momentary discomfort “. Sure.  I saved up painkillers and took them before.

One thing that helped me was heating pads on my back while it bed.  This made a huge improvement.

Good luck!

• Posted

I had a kidney stent in December last year.

A couple of days afterwards I had probably the worst stomach ache I have ever had.

It eventually eased but then I had it again a couple of days later though not quite so bad.

I was in hospital for a week.

I was passing blood for a few days but I was passing a lot of blood before that when I had my kidney stones.

It is painful and uncomfortable but 6 months on all I can say is that it was worth it to be rid of the pain of the kidney stones. That is my experience.

Sarah

• Posted

Worst experience I have ever been through 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.