kidney stent pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had kidney stones in both kidneys and when I went in to get the stones removed from the left kidney they said my tube from bladder to kidney was so inflamed and full of scar tissue they couldn't even get the scope in so they had to excessively force a stint in there and I have a little over a week before it comes out. I have no pain meds and was looking for tips to ease the pain because it hurts all the time. Any advice would be appreciated!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Can you call the urologist office and request a prescription for Urabel/uramit and Flomax? Oxybutinin would help with bladder spasms. All three will seriously help with the discomfort and pain caused by the stent. I'm disappointed in them for not sending you home with a prescription for at least the Urabel. My ureter was inflamed after surgery, so I was also given a script for 800mg ibuprofin to reduce the inflammation, an antibiotic and hydrocodone for stone related pain. But the stent has always been the worst part for me and I wouldn't be able to cope without the Urabel or flomax.

There are some over-the-counter drugs that are similar to Urabel, but from what I have read, not quite as effective. Cystex and Azo (brand name, the active ingredient is pyridium). They are typically used for urinary tract infections and turn urine bright orange (prescription Urabel turns it blue/green). If there are no contraindications, ibuprofin and Cystex or Azo could give you some relief, but not nearly what you should have been given. Honestly, I want you to call them and get the appropriate medications to help you cope. Any doctor that would do that deserves to have a stent with no pain meds so they can relate to their patients in a more humane manner. Please contact them and insist on getting the appropriate medications! I'm so sorry you are enduring this and it's completely unnecessary.

• Posted

I agree its barbaric not to provide any pain relief. They did the same to me. If youre in the UK request voltarol (diclofenac) suppositories. They work very quickly but you can only use a couple a day. I had dihydrocodeine and oramorph for the inbetween times. Once the stent taken out i found it was instant relief. Hope you soon feel better
  • Posted

Absolutely agree with the answers above. 

Diclofenic sodium known as Voltarol suppositories were my life saver. 

Good luck. 

A. 

• Posted

They should definitely have given you pain meds. I had kidney stones removed by keyhole surgery at beginning of December. I had catheter in for 3 or 4 days and stent in for a week. I was in hospital for a week and was on loads of pain meds. Paracetamol and Cocodamol you can buy over the counter. Anything stronger than that you will need a prescription for. Are you at home? I guess you are not still in hospital?

Take care and keep in touch.

Praying f or you.

Sarah xx

• Posted

They should have prescribed you pain meds and Zofran for nausea. Please tell me they gave you antibiotics! If I were you, I would request some meds. Resolving these kidney stone issues is not a fast process. It's the doctor's job to keep you comfortable. Pain relief is a basic necessity in this situation. Other than that, warm bath/shower helped me some. A heating pad can help too. Stents are not fun and make it difficult to go about your normal routine. All you can do is wait it out, which is why it's important to have meds. Hope you get relief soon!

• Posted

I have now had two ureteroscopy with lithotripsy and stent. Neither time was I given anything to come home with. And honestly it was a nightmare two weeks both times. Some Dr. Feel a stent does not cause discomfort. I would like to put a stent in each one of them and see how they like it. Good luck try to get your Dr. To prescribe. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.