Kidney Stone for 7+ Years

Posted , 4 users are following.

Over 7 years ago now I started with pain from my left kidney area, subsequent scans showed an 8mm stone, due to the location of the stone in the kidney the following laser treatment failed. Since then theyve decided to leave it alone, its still in the same place, and the pain is the same not bad but i know its there. Has anyone else had a similar thing? I've never known anyone else to have one for this long!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

If you have the funds or the insurance, I would have it taken out. I have learnt that having a stone, even if no pain, is not a benign situation. It can easily damage a kidney. Probably not too big for a uteroscopy, (a doctor can advise) which altho slightly uncomfortable for a few days is well worth it and is performed on an outpatient basis. A pcnl, on the other hand, requires a hospital stay and some after operation pain.

• Posted

I had a stone for several years. It just kept growing, showing 4mm on first scan, 6mm on the next.

I thought i was passing it last September. After hours of the horrific pain, I developed a UTI which I still have (yes, a UTI from the stone has lasted 8 months now).

I had the stone blasted with lithotripsy in December (it was 11mm then). I passed the fragments painlessly. But had I known the danage and pain the stone would cause with the UTI I regret not taking care of it years ago.

My advice to anyone with a stone now is to do whatever you can to get rid of them. I didnt want to spend the money 2 years ago and now I'm paying the price. Still out the money for the procedure but also out the money trying to cure this infection, not to mention the 8 months of pain.

• Posted

Don't let them decide anything for you. You're the one in pain. Advocate for yourself. Is there some reason they can't try laser again? Is that the only possibility. Did you get a second opinion?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.