Kidney Stone Or Not ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Just writing you guys regarding some kidney stone questions.

Basically a year and a half ago I had a bit of back bain and we did some checks regarding kidney stones and they found a really tiny one which was 1mm and not likely to cause any issues. I don't recall getting any pain so I am guessing after a year and a half it would have been gone.

I have had a scan today, still no pain, just asked to get a scan done out of curiosity ...

I have have got the images and I am quite curious to see how they look like ... Basically there is a picture taken a few different ways and one one of them only I can see a little white dot so I am really confused of what it could be ... I haven't slept for couple days because I am that worried and now I have to wait to see the doctor tomorrow night !!! Can someone just give me a bit of hope ?

I have circled around the part that seems suspicious to me..

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It may be a cyst. I have one on each kidney, had it checked, it is fine. My urologist told me many people get them, so they’re common.
  • Posted

We are not medically trained on this site so cannot really advise you as to what this might be.

You will have to ask the doctor tomorrow night.

In the meantime try not to worry it could be nothing serious.

Take care and keep in otuch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks guys, I absolutely agree .

Have to wait and see ... I guess it’s not as easy as just looking at photos ... ! 

Although I will update tomorrow after getting results.

• Posted

Whatever it is..its really small. I am no doctor..just a stoner so I am not going to guess. If it were a stone, it would be of the size that could be either left alone or blasted by a litho treatment. Please don't cause yourself alot of stress by the "what-ifs". Flooding yourself with to much info will keep you awake at night. Breath deep and hopefully it is either a small stone or a fatty deposit. This is a great forum for support. Please keep us informed and please relax.

• Posted

Demi, as you have experienced a kidney stone in the past, it is quite possible that if there is anything at all showing on the images that shouldn't be there, it will likely be another tiny stone.  Many people can have small kidney stones that do not cause any pain (asymptomatic) so are unaware of their presence.   Such stones are then usually passed in blissful ignorance!  I certainly would not be putting myself through scans without any reason, just giving yourself unnecessary worry.  There is a saying, Never worry worry till worry worries you!  So worry not because the stress of doing so will cause you more harm than good.  So sleep well tonight and good luck tomorrow.

• Posted

Well yes in a way I have experienced a stone a year and a half ago but I have no idea where it's gone as I never had any pain from it whatsoever. I basically don't have pain right now either I am just paranoid. 

I know it's sad and I have probably hyped myself up in such a bad way for no reason but better safe than sorry ...

sad 

• Posted

Ok so ...

We do not know what type of stone it is , but I do have one and it's 5mm... The doctor said there is nothing to be done and just to wait until it comes out. Apparently it might just come out and I won't notice it.

I am very doubtul about this statment becaues 5mm seems pretty big to me and I have heard horror stories from people passing stones that size ...

Now I have a ticking time bomb in my kidney sad 

• Posted

What should I do to maybe try and dissolve it ?

When do I know when it's going to come out ? sad 

• Posted

Demi, my hubby was in agony with a 6mm stone stuck in the ureter a few weeks ago.  The hospital sent him home with painkillers/suppositories and a follow-up appointment for the end of this month.  Meanwhile, after about a further week, the pain totally resolved (that was 3 weeks ago) so we are assuming he has passed it.  What I did recommend to him was to drink lots of water into which he squeezed a slice of lemon into each glass.  Being pain-free for the last few weeks, we are therefore assuming that he has now passed the stone - it certainly could no longer be seen on latest ultrasound.  So to answer your questions:

1)  Drink plenty of water with a slice of lemon

2)  You won't know when it is going to come out - as I said before many people have kidney stones of which they are both unaware of them either being in situ or being passed.   

As to you saying that you have a ticking time bomb in your kidney,  just get that thought out of your head straight away - there are people, some of them very very young, who have no kidney function at all and would much prefer to be in your shoes.  Be grateful that you are not in any pain - many people would wish not to have the pain of a kidney stone!  So drink plenty of water, and  B R E A T H E!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.