Kidney Stone Questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

I think I have my first kidney stone.  After major discomfort and visits to 3 different doctors including the ER I finally found a new primary care who thinks I have a kidney stone.  I started flomax last Friday while I wait for a CT scan to confirm. I had a few weeks of discomfort and then the actual pain started.  It feels like a sand spur moving through my insides.  The pain will be there for a few hours then improve to discomfort, and then just fluctuate.  When the pain improves and I can pinpoint it better, it does feel like it has continued to move down, however, when the pain flares up it seems to radiate all over my right front, side , and abdomen, even into my leg.  Does this sound normal for a kidney stone.  And just how long does it take this thing to move into my bladder.  It seems like a long time.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey erin28993,  

It very much does sound like a stone... I have dealt with pain for the whole month of June!! I only found the reason and it was confirmed, on this past Tuesday... that I have interstitial Cystitis... I am left with this after a wicked Uti... I have had terrible lower belly pain, side pain, and frequent peeing... the worst part by far... the pressure!!  I actually feel human again.. just now!!!  It’s awful!!! The stones may take a long time to travel down, or could be in the next 5 minutes... I’d drink a LOT of water and try to push it through.... I know your in pain... it sucks!!!  Please rest and keep drinking your water.. 

• Posted

Thank you debbie20087.

I can't even imagine this pain for a month.  I hope you are doing much better now.  It is just exhausting and sucks the life right out of a person.  I am drinking water and lemon water hoping to move this thing on along as quickly as possible.  It just causes all sorts of pains and tingles and odd feelings all over that side of my body when it flares up.  

• Posted

Sounds like a pretty stone description.  As far as how long it takes to pass (*if it does), everyone is different.  The size of the stone or stones matters.  The CT scan should tell you that in detail.  

Warm heating pads help in my experience.

• Posted

Hi jane16431.  

Thank you for the response.  I am hoping to find out more info on Monday with a CT scan.  It feels like it has moved along some, so I am hoping for the best.  I have been using a heating pad when the pain strikes, it does help some.  

• Posted

Hi Erin,

About a month ago I passed 20 stones, in a matter of a month, so I understand completely what you feeling like, and hope for the best.

• Posted

Hi Erin,

About a month ago I passed 20 stones, in a matter of a month, so I understand completely what you feeling like, and hope for the best.

I almost forgot to tell you, when you feel the tingling in your sides, that may be because your drinking the lemon water, and taking diuretic that you taking, and what you may feel is the stones going into the bladder, I found this happening to me before.

Hope you are feeling better, keep in touch.

• Posted

Goodness, you have been through a lot passing that many stones.  I can't imagine that level of pain.  Thank you for letting me know about the tingling.  That has definitely been a strange feeling.  

• Posted

I'd be laying down and my left side felt like it was twitching, you know how your fingers may twitch, like flooder a little, that's exactly what it felt like for me

When I told the doctor about this, he looked at my X-Rays and didn't see any stones. He asked if I drinking lemon with water, I said I would squeeze the lemons in a big pitcher, fill it with water, with a little sugar.

He had told me cause of what I was drinking the stones were being flushed into the bladder.

I'm glad I was able to help you, even in a small way.

• Posted

Well, about 3 days after my last episode of pain I finally went for my CT scan.  Followed up with doctor and everything on the CT was normal and no stone.  She seems convinced I had one and that it passed by the time the scan was done.  I was happy to hear that news.  I stopped taking the flowmax, and although I still had some slight discomfort, seemed to be improving.  Then in the past couple of days I had more discomfort (no extreme pain though)  and all of the tingling throughout my body and leg pain returned.  Uggg.  All of these symptoms started at the same time as what seemed like kidney stone pain.  Is it possible that this thing is not gone and didn't show up on the scan?

• Posted

Unlikely.  A CT scan will typically detect stones over 3mm.   And stones under 3mm usually pass on their own.   Of course nothing is fool proof or error free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.