Kidney stone/stent

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just want to add a warning to all those who may be offered a stent , I have a 8mm stone blocking my tube from the left kidney , after visiting the local hospital three times in two months with pain as bad as near passing out they decided to give a scan which revealed the 8mm stone , they then gave me a ultrasound and said you will be able to pee it out so go and drink plenty of water and do plenty of pushing , anyway nothing came out I felt fine no pain and went about my daily life at work and at home , a month or so later the pain came back so went back to hospital near passing out with a flooded blocked kidney and sent down for a emergency operation, they have inserted a double j stent to relieve the blockage with the stone still in on 5/7/2017 they said the stent will be in for six weeks , I have been back to have the stone removed with the stent but the hospital had no recollection of me having a appointment despite having the letter and showing the appointment text messages reminder , I have still got the stone and stent and I am in a lot of pain with this , I can't walk more than 10-15 steps before becoming doubled over in pain I can't take a large breath of air or cough sneeze or yourne I feel like I am peeing pure acid blood I feel sick I find the best place is lay down but still uncomfortable can't sleep , I just came back from hospital today after complaining of all these side affects now they are just unbearable , the only two in a&e that could treat me they were insisting of inserting a catheter unto the area which is the most painful even tho I can pee fine it just burns like acid blood making all the hairs on my arms start up when I do pee , they also were unwelcoming rood and made a mess of my arm trying to take blood as if they didn't know what they were doing , I asked a few questions which they should have been able to answer but they couldn't , I had to discharge myself without treatment after arguing with the guy trying to take blood , I feel the NHS is really slacking here this has been the worst three months of my life I really don't know what to do I feel I can't wait another three weeks until the next appointment is due for removal that's even if they remember to log this one , I hope to god no one els has to go through this ordeal , any help from previous experience or professional would be most appreciated please please

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this. Stents are are horrible. 

I'm not sure if you were given any medicine, but what helped me is taking Motrin 800 every 8 hours, oxycodone if the pain is really bad, but the best med was phenazopridine (which you can get over the counter in the US). That was a life saver. I'm not a doctor, but this is what I found worked for me. I have had 2 surgeries so far and 2 rounds of stents. 

Also, heating pad and baths. And lay down as much as you can (if you can). 

Best of luck!

• Posted

I second that! Baths, and heating pads are your best friend! Also try to drink a lot of extra water it will help. I am not a professional either but those are the answers I got from my doctor when I had a stent and called about unbearable pain! Stents are awful! 
  • Posted

Rich, I know exactly what its like, I have had the stentbin for over 3 weeks now since op, like you its in foe 6 weeks, havent heard a thing about going back yet. The first week of it in was pure hell but it did ease, I went back to work but as soon as I sweat im peeing blood for the rest of the day! It is the most horrible thing Ive ever had.
  • Posted

Just a quick re post to inform you guys , been for a check up with my local doctor who I trust , it seems when the hospital inserted the stent they damaged my prostate gland and now it is really infected wich is why I am so ill , strong antibiotics and pain relief for two weeks , it just goes to show they do not tell you all the things wich happen to 76.5 % of people when they tell you they are going to fit a stent they instead tell you you can live a normal life , I would have preferred a small scar than go through 2+half months of this so if anyone reeding this has been offered a stent try to have surgery instead of a stent because this is really hell , a small 8mm stone can be removed via key hole surgery and healed in 2-3 weeks with a LOTS less pain and discomfort , the money lost in time off work could have paid for keyhole surgery and I would have been healed living my normal life with no infections right now , TRY NOT TO HAVE STENTS FITTED , HAVE KEYHOLE SURGERY IF YOU CAN , looks like I have weeks of more discomfort ahead and then another operation to remove the stone and stent wich could cause yet more infections more time off work , surely four months wages would be worth paying for keyhole surgery privately it would be all over in weeks not months with minimal pain infections and discomfort, no brainier in my opinion 👍🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.