Kidney stone surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had the surgery to take out a large kidney stone by making a hole in the back and a hole in your kidney? How was it? would you do that surgery or do the one where they put a stent in?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was given that choice s I had the tube through the kidney to drain the fluid. But I requested to have ESWL to break up the stone and natural pass .. my stone was 9mm. I believe that if the size is 15mm or above then they have alternative treatments but anything smaller you may qualify for ESWL. I had 2! Stones 6mm and 9mm.
    • Posted

What is ESWL?

I have a large kildney stone and am going for a scan later today. Then I will see rhe consultant and discuss how to remove it.

Saraj

• Posted

It's a procedure where you lie on a bed and they place a rubber ball over the kidney and it send shockwaves to break up the stone. You have to keep still and lasts about 30 minutes. It's uncomfortable but painless. In the U.K. they give you painkillers before hand but in the USA I believe they put you to sleep.

• Posted

Thanks. My urologist said he thought this stone was too big to be got rid of in that way, so I will go under the knife!

Sarah

• Posted

I had that surgery in last August. PCNL surgery, I had one 2 cm stone in my left kidney. One week after the PCNL, they put stent in, for 3 weeks, and now my left kidney is stone free. smile I hope don't need to do it again.....

• Posted

I see the consultant tomorrow.  Hopefully we will be able to discuss how he intends to remove the stone.

Don't fancy having a stent, yours sounds better so we will see

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.