Kidney stone treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a 10mm stone imbedded in my left kidney in September.

Was stented for 6 weeks then the stone was blasted and then restented again for a week.

Was in complete agony the whole time til the second stent was removed the first week in November.

Since then been fine until about 3 weeks ago when I randomly started feeling pressure and a dull ache in my back, within a week the all to familiar cramps in the groin area and colic symptoms started and last anything from 10mins to 4hrs to pass

Was sent to a&e after a bad one lasting 4+ hrs by gp and a ct scan showed two more stones, urology were called and saw me yesterday

They said I have few stones in kidney again and calcifications in the bladder to.

He says because I was put out last time,stones were blasted and stented and caused me so much discomfort he wants to try lithotripsy, said probably need a few of them thou to get rid of the stones.

He said this can be more painful initially then after a few days I should be ok on painkillers

Has anyone had both ways performed before?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Ah  interesting.

Is lithotripsy where they acces teh kidney stone through a hole in your back?

I have a large kildney stone (not sure of the exact size). Saw consultant yesterday and he confirmed it was too big to either pass or blaast so it's under the knife for me too.

He wants me to have a couple of tests first so when I see him again I will ask him what proceedure he intends to do.

The other thing I will ask him when I see him next time is how do I prevent stones formling again.

Sorry you have had to go through all this it is really painful isn't it?

In the meantime take care and keep in touch

Love and prayers

Sarah xx

• Posted

Hi Sarah

No it's when they fire shockwaves through the skin towards the kidney to break down stone, takes 30-60mins to do. He said initially the pain will be worse but the recoup time is quicker then the other ones.

Last stone in October I had was 10mm and that was done under anestic Using a scope and blasting them internally and then stenting for them to pass down the ureathra

Gutted that less then 3 months I have grown more and added some to my bladder, had my gall bladder out two years ago because I filled that!

Thinking I'm a gravel making machine!😂

They think it's my medication for bile acid malabsorption that are contributing to them forming, thou I can't not take them.

Was wondering if anyone has had both procedures done just so I can gauge if it is quicker recoup as I need to book time off work, was off 9 weeks before 😬

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I've had both done. The 'blasting' feels like a large elastic band hitting the same spot over and over, but compared to lasering and stents is an absolute doddle.. the issue with me was that unfortunately, on the two occasions I've had it, it didn't brake the stone. The process, however, is nothing to fear. I was in and out within an hour and took codine for the slight discomfort.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Carla

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.