Kidney stones

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi just asking a question I'm hoping some one can answer for me .

I have been diagnosed with 2 kidney stones roughly 3-4mm so doctors hoping I will pass them.Ive had 5 pain free days which has been a blessing but now I have the need to urinate  constantly and when I go not much comes out.This has just started today as my peeing has been great with good flow and good colour ,no smell either.My water consumption is good also.Ive read that this could be due to the stone or stones entering the bladder causing me to feel like this. Could I have a UTI?I have no pain when urinating and no blood.ai only have the 2 stones in my left kidney.Ive stopped taking pain Meds as have no pain.So my question is how long will this last and has anybody else experienced this.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Darren:

I am experiencing (almost) exactly what u describe right now!!

So hopefully, someone more knowledgeable can answer this.

I have one kidney stone 3-4 mm  just above the uretero-vesical junction (UVJ) as seen by CAT scan on July 14.

Was told then there was no sign of infection  and it is likely to pass on its own on accountg of small stone size. But its been a few weeks since this whole thing began, and its still not passed..

The pain had stopped about 5-10 days ago. But theres some mild burning on urination and sense of urinary urgency.

I'm hoping this means its very near to entering the bladder.

Since I've only seen that this is a sign that it's near  bladder on the internet, I too am hoping someone could shed more light on this pattern

• Posted

The urge to urinate may be a symptom of the stones starting to get a move on or at least irritating your tubes or bladder.

Keep up with the water as this will help to cut down on the chance of infection but do be ready to get medical assistance if you experience pain, blood, etc.

Your doctor can check for a UTI so go see the doctor and let them know what's happening.

It will take as long as it takes, so keep on top of the pain if it should return and ask for stronger painkillers if it gets bad.

• Posted

Hi yes went to a urologist today and he's suggested that the stone may have passed to the bladder which is causing me discomfort ie wanting to urinate all the time.Ive booked in for surgery today in 6 weeks if it does not pass on its own.Man I hope it passes as that my last option I want to take.

Its not to invasive what they do but if I can pass it I want to.Still drinking fluids and are now on bladder control Meds but to be fair there not really dong anything.Have another appointment on the 10 August so fingers crossed I've passed them.Ive read that when they pass to the bladder it could be quick to pass or couple weeks.

• Posted

Thank you Sheffnet for clarifying. And best wishes to you Darren.

I'm seeing my family doctor in a few days for follow-up on this. So that he might refer me to urologist for jst in case it doesntg pass.

I do have a suggestion in terms of symptomatic relief or urinary frequency/urgency  which does work for me:

Fill bathtub with hot water so its half way up to your waist. Then keep making the water slowly hotter and hotter (so long as u dont scald youself of course..) When its as hot as you can comfortably take it, sit in it for about 10 minutes. After you get out, put ice pack on your lower abdomen for say 5 minutes. Works like a charm for me, and gives relief for several hours...

I think this works (when it does work) because it relaxes the smooth muscles in the urinary tract.

Thats similar to the idea  behind using Flo-Max (the alpha blocker). But without the side effects...So who knows. This might even help move that stone along. Worth a shot I think.

Best wishes for smooth passage

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.