Kidney stones and kidney function

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have two kidney stones, one in each kidney, 10mm and 6mm.  I saw a new urologist last month and, when I asked if I needed anything to be done about them at the size they are, he said that it was up to me.  I'm not desperate to have treatment, as they are not causing me any problems and never have, but are simply growing larger.  I won't be seeing the urologist again until next year.

I would be interested to know, if I just leave them, and I remain asymptomatic, are they likely to affect my kidney function in any way?  At the moment, everything is fine.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

U can't just leave them cos as time goes on they might begin to give u pain, so it's better u ahead of that time cos the pain is not good.. Ask the doc the medications to take on any other option. A friend of mine used chanca Piedra (stone breaker). U can try and purchase online . All the best

• Posted

Although the question you've posted is a dissusion better had with your doctor. That being said, having just went through having a 4mm right and 5mm left kidney stones removed. If I did have the oppertunity to have my kidney stones removed like you do currently and I was overwise healthy I would have them removed now knowing how much pain I went through. From start to finish my ordeal took a month and a half. I had mine Lazered with stents placed on both left and right sides. the stents are terible however, in most cases they are removed 7 days after your procedure so in other words which do you prefer 1 week of pain or a likely 6 weeks of pain. Since a CT scan isn't something normaly done on a routine visit leads me to believe you might have other health issues your currently dealing with so my recomendation would be for you to discuss the matter fully with your GP

• Posted

Thank you Joe and Neil.  You're quite right, Neil, as I said, I'm not due to see my urologist until next year, but I think I'll have a chat with my GP before then and see what he advises.  I'm due to have an ultrasound scan next year before I see the urologist, so this will tell me how big the stones are then.

• Posted

Just to add a comment - in the meantime, you should drink lots of water. Even if this does not flush the stones away, it will help to prevent them from getting larger. If you get dehydrated, your urine becomes more concentrated and this is fertile ground for stones to grow.
  • Posted

Hi...Could i just add.....

That the size of your stones especially the 10mm one means that you will not be able to pass it naturally.Great for you that at the moment you are pain free,but if in time they start to travel down the ureter they will more than likely get stuck.

This happened to me in december and i became very very ill really quickly,so much so that the surgeon operated on me the same day.I had a stent in for 3 weeks and although really uncomfortable i would rather have that pain than the unbearable pain a stone causes.

If your stones grew and grew than i would imagine with time it wouldnt do you kidneys any favours.

If i was you and your consultant is willing i would get rid whilst your pain free.

I had a stone left in my right kidney and from december until now it has grown 10mm and is causing me all sorts of trouble..

Drink loads and get them out ............

Take Care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.