Kidney stones and kidney function recovery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I found out i had kidney stone in the strangest way. I started working out about 5 months ago. 2 months or more into workout i developed this sharp pain on my right side.i thought it was from injury at the gym.went to the gp.got some muscle relaxant and anti inflammatories. Nothing worked. A month after still have this pain. Went to my second gp and he gave same meds. On second visit i insisted on a blood test that revealed i might have stage 3a kidney disease. Fast forward i went to see a nephrologist that requested new test and found i might have a blockage. Anyway i found i got a stone. Went to a urologist and first procedure wasnt successful cause they couldnt reach the stone due to narrowing of the urethra. A stent was put in place to drain fluid. 2 weeks and 4 days after, went for the surgery and stone was no where to be found. I felt alive for the first 2 days now am so anxious. I am worried about my kidney returning to full function. Has anyone ever had their kidney functions checked after an episode of kidney stones that caused a decline in their kidney function?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I did. My kidney function returned to normal after stone was removed... blood test previous to removal showed some really poor numbers.

What was the first test that found a stone? a CT scan?

• Posted

No it was an xray that showed early stage hydronephrosis which suggested there might be a blockage. I had a blood test done prior to this when i couldnt handle the pain anymore. The test suggested my number were similar to a person in stage 3a kidney disease.i had my second surgery to remove the stone this past wednesday. First surgey wasnt successful so they placed a stent to help with draining fluid. Well this wednesday all they took out was the stent cause the stone was gone. I mean no where to be found. My urologist said he checked everywhere. All he found was a little mucus which i got a 5days course of antibiotics for. What was your number before it returned back to normal and have you had any issues since then?

• Posted

Not sure which numbers you refer to, but I think maybe these

August 20th with kidney infection

Creatinine1.90

eGFR 35

hemoglobin 10. something

October after antibiotics and just before the kidney stone surgery of October 10th

Creatinine1.24

eGFR =57

hemoglobin 11. something

Next week will do new labs

• Posted

Oh wow that is an amazing improvement. My egfr was 59 and that was when the stone was still present. My creatine was 136. Tell me something. Did the stones ever made it difficult for you to use your lower back enough not to be able to pass stool?does your lower back still hurt? You know we all need the devine working on our favour. I pray that kidney function be restored to complete full function like i desire too. I will be having my labs in two weeks time.

• Posted

So today i went by to my doctor to see if my hydronephrosis had resolved. Did you also have that? Anyway it hasnt so i was asked to do another ct scan that revealed a stone. I am so stressed in all honesty. I am in a foreign country and all this procedures are done by cash. Anyway i am more worried about saving my kidney.

• Posted

No one gave what I had a name. Maybe I did have hydronephrosis , which appears to be caused by a blockage... A blockage i definately had. Plus infection of the kidney... But antibiotics lessened the inflammation at the exit to the ureter and whacking the stone mad everything good. I feel great now...

• Posted

Another blood test the other day:

Creatinine 1.24

eGFR =57

no change from the blood test just before surgery

• Posted

Ok so you have not had a new test after stone was removed?my egfr was 59 which suggested i might have stage 3a kidney disease.this paat 2 days has been rough for me. I am extremely worried ans scared cause i really dont want to spend the rest of my life on hospital beds. Is your blood pressure spiking too? Its had to deal with all this. Anyway i requested a retest if the blood yesterday and hoping for a improvement. I am afraid that worrying will kill me. I have suffered anxiety before. I can't imagine having anxiety that spikes my bp and causes more kidney damage. I feel like my life is about to end.

• Posted

Yes, I thought i wrote that the second test was after removal of the stone and there was no change in eGFR... However when I was suffering the kidney infection it had gone down very low at 35... Isn't 59 just one below the recommended limit of 60... does this indicate kidney disease. I am hoping that I will recover from the whole kidney trauma thing and heal since the stone is gone. It may be a slowish process. My blood pressure is not spiking.

• Posted

Hi there how long did you have the pain for before you got treatment?

• Posted

Generally a few weeks - a month or so... I live on an island with few urologists. At the moment there is only one

• Posted

I am extremely worried about improving renal function. Turns out j dont have a stone. Its a urethra stricture and a stent was placed in on wednesday. I did another test next day after stent was placed and my egfr had dropped from 59 to 56.i still had the blockage then. I am hoping the stent improves. I have this needle pricking feeling around my waist.

• Posted

My urologist told me that for 1/3 of folks the stent is hell, 1/3 have mild discomfort and 1/3 feel ok with it... I was in the last group, a few days of discomfort and urgent urinations and then all was good, it was in for about a month before my operation just to keep the stone away from the ureter.

• Posted

How have you been health wise. Have you done a new test? I am coping well with my stent. My anxiety is just over roof because i am so scared of my kidney function returning to normal. I guess the stent helped you drain your kidney well. Did you know how long it took for your hydronephrosis to resolve? Have you done a new this? I remember you said you had to do one last week. Any improvement?

• Posted

hi moltoncore.if you dont mind me asking how old are you cause it has alot to do with where you at with your egfr.have you had any other test?if you have what is the new numbers?

• Posted

I am 72 years old. Unfortunately my next blood test is scheduled for March... my efgr was 57 on my last blood test about 2 weeks after removal of stone in left kidney.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.