Kidney stones from controlling liquids?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone run into a problem with kidney stones as a result of limiting intake of liquids?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

No, but do a search on the causes of kidney stones, and not drinking enough liquids is broadly identified as the #1 cause.  For example, 

"The number one risk factor for kidney stones is not drinking enough water. If you aren't drinking enough, your urine will have higher concentrations of waste produces, including substances that can form stones.

Specifically, stone-forming chemicals including calcium, oxalate, urate, cysteine, xanthine, and phosphate will have less chance to settle and bond in your kidneys and urinary tract if you're urinating frequently.3

According to the results of a large meta-analysis, presented at a March 2015 National Kidney Foundation meeting in Dallas, Texas, people who produced 2 to 2.5 liters of urine daily were 50 percent less likely to develop kidneys stones than those who produced less."

• Posted

Right, so I'm trying to find out how everyone with BPH handles the conflict of drinking less liquids but needing to drink more in order to avoid kidney stones.

• Posted

Some self catherize to fully empty the bladder several times per day.  You certainly don't want to end up with two urinary diseases.

• Posted

Hi jj,

I'm in the same boat as you. One of the reasons that while I could possibly hang in there with my BPH symptoms at the stage they are now (not fun, but there are risks with any of the procedures) that I will most likley be going ahead with PAE in the spring.

• Posted

Yep. Hospital bill was 5 grand to sit in the ER while it passed. Cat scan showed it, enlarged prostate. Doc popped in for 2 minutes said the body would heal itself. Had surgery 18 months later or so. Tryed meds. Didn't work. Inability to empty bladder made stones form. Alot.

• Posted

There is no difficulty for me to decide the question of whether or not to drink a lot of fluid. If I don't, I get very painful muscle cramps in my legs. Also, not drinking enough fluid concentrates your urine, which irritates your bladder and prostate, making you urinate MORE.

Neal

• Posted

Hi, JJ,

I currently have bladder stones from retaining urine. The largest is 12mm. A recent CT scan shows I also have a kidney stone that about 5mm. My uro said the kidney stone isn't the result of my urine retention. I think I might try chanca piedra before surgery to have them removed. Perhaps it will make the stones smaller.

I am now self cathing (CIC) to make sure I empty my bladder. Had a PAE done in June to make CIC easier and to stop my prostate from growing larger. Now that I'm CICing, I don't have to worry about my liquid intakes. Hope to regain my bladder tone through CIC, too.

Stebrunner

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.