Kidney stones? Please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone we are at out wits end!!

A year ago in June my husband suffered from low stomach pain which was so severe he couldn't move out bed he told the pain was like a burning pain inside and it made he feel like he needed to wee alot this lasted for about 6 ish hours he ended up at walk in centre who ran some obs said he was fine and sent him away.

Anyway was fine since so we never really gave it a second thought. Anyway back in may he had the same thing happen again in agony went to doctors and they said he had urine infection and tiny trave of blood. Gave him antibiotics which seemed to clear it up but he carried on with bouts of this excruciating pain. Anyho he was fine for a couple of months after and for he past 2 weeks he has been suffering again in agony up all night says the pain is the same again now is in his back and gets stabbing pains feels like his stomach is burning and need to wee we've ended up and emergency room twice over the weekend he says he has a throbbing pain in his kidneys. And they think he was kidney stones son were waiting for a scan now. Does this sound like kidney stones? I'm going out my mind with worry for him I'm up all night with him in agony. The only thing that helps his pain is a hot bath or water bottle. What was your symptoms of kidney stones?

Thank you guys this is very much appreciated xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sounds EXACTLY like kidney stones to me. I had these same symptoms along with nausea. At my worst, the only thing that helped at all was being on my knees in the shower and letting the hot water hit me in the back. Heating pad helped a little too. A person can be just fine for weeks and months, then suddenly it hits again. Take care and keep us posted.
    • Posted

Bless you. Can I ask you how many times this has happened to you?? Do you also get microscopic blood in the urine. I've been so worried he's Ben absolutely fine for 2 days now. It's so strange. His symptoms don't Co inside with anything other than kidney stones. When he's gets the severe pain he needs to pee alot also. I've never seen him in so much pain before really scary hope your OK now x

• Posted

I have only dealt with one kidney stone. The ordeal lasted about 5 weeks. I had 4 "episodes" where i would get an attack. The 4th one was the worst. It lasted about 16 hours and when I told my doctor about it, he said to get in immediately because it sounded like the stone was stuck. In fact, it was. I would go days in between attacks. I did have microscopic blood in the urine throughout. Not sure, but I think the attacks happen when the stone moves. I also got the urge to urinate a lot, but oftentimes couldn't go much. I'm not a doctor but it really does sound like stones. Is it possible to get a CT scan or x-ray to check? Meanwhile, he should drink tons and tons of water. Personally, this was the worst experience of my  life in terms of physical pain. I had an operation on October 27 to blast the stone apart with a laser(ureteroscopy). They had to leave a stent from kidney to bladder for 1 week. Had that removed Nov. 3. Since then, I feel great! I've changed my diet a bit and pledged to drink more water each day. I never want to go through that again! Take care and let us know how it's goingsmile

• Posted

Hi Leanne

Sorry your husband is going through this.  Kidney stones can get stuck and the outcome is Severe Pain and yes blood in the urine is usually found.  I have had stones in both kidneys at the same time, and still have them.

I've been dealing with this since May of 2016.  Had them removed, and they come back. I pass a lot of stones too.  One question, when at the ER, they should have done the CT Scan right then.  Do you have or have seen

a Urologist?  They also should have given him something for Pain. They should Not have sent him home in severe pain like that!  So get an appointment with a Urologist ASAP, get the CT scan done and get a prescripton

for pain medication.  Usually the Urologist would prescribe a muscle relaxer along with a pain reliever. I have "Heard" that Flomax helps in passing the stone, but it sounds like he may have one too large to pass. I would suggest drinking a mix of cranberry & lemon juice daily.  There is also an Herb that I take, it is called  Chanca Piedra.  It can help soften the stone along with the juice.  Steer clear from any alcohol beverages and no soft drinks, no diet soft drinks, nothing with carbonation.  Best wishes to you.  If you do end up back in the ER,

demand that they do a CT Scan.  This Pain is Off the Charts.  Take Care & keep in touch  ~  Faith 

• Posted

Hi Leanne

Sorry your husband is going through this.  Kidney stones can get stuck and the outcome is Severe Pain and yes blood in the urine is usually found.  I have had stones in both kidneys at the same time, and still have them.

I've been dealing with this since May of 2016.  Had them removed, and they come back. I pass a lot of stones too.  One question, when at the ER, they should have done the CT Scan right then.  Do you have or have seen

a Urologist?  They also should have given him something for Pain. They should Not have sent him home in severe pain like that!  So get an appointment with a Urologist ASAP, get the CT scan done and get a prescripton

for pain medication.  Usually the Urologist would prescribe a muscle relaxer along with a pain reliever. I have "Heard" that Flomax helps in passing the stone, but it sounds like he may have one too large to pass. I would suggest drinking a mix of cranberry & lemon juice daily.  There is also an Herb that I take, it is called  Chanca Piedra.  It can help soften the stone along with the juice.  Steer clear from any alcohol beverages and no soft drinks, no diet soft drinks, nothing with carbonation.  Best wishes to you.  If you do end up back in the ER,

demand that they do a CT Scan.  This Pain is Off the Charts.  Take Care & keep in touch  ~  Faith 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. It's the only thing we can think it is and his GP has said the same so did the hosptial. We ended up twice at emergency room over he weekend. And the way we was treated was awful he sweats wih the pain and the only slight relief is a hot bath they gave him codine which didn't touch the pain at all which is strange cause usually they are oodles but maybe not strong enough?? Like you the pain comes and goes in bouts sometimes the pain is worse than other bouts if that makes sense I told them to keep him and run further tests but they refused didn't even take bloods. I ended up walking into his GP surgery with him in agony demanding to see a doctor now as I was reduced to tear for him as it's effecting me too aswell with worry and being up with him in agony. I can't help him and it breaks my heart we have the kids seeing him upset cause too 😢 xx

• Posted

FaithInHim makes some good points. Treating the pain should be the first priority. Confirming that it's a stone(s) and the size/location of them should also happen immediately. In addition to pain meds, my Urologist also gave me Zofran for the nausea. It was a life saver. It's just a tab that dissolves under your tongue and works very fast. I was taking Oxycodone alternated with regular Motrin for pain. I was taking Flomax, but since the stone ended up getting stuck in the ureter, I can't say whether it would've made passing the stone easier. Hope things are improving for him or that you're at least getting answers and medications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.