Kidney test GFR 60- low level

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I had my blood tests done and my kidney GFR came back as 60 which is low. The doctor has asked me to repeat my test in 3 weeks but of course this was just a passed on message so I don't know why she wants me to repeat the tests but I'm very anxious as I read that at that level I have key stage 2 kidney disease and I'm really scared. I don't have diabetes but I have high blood pressure and cholesterol and take medication for both. Can anybody help?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucas,

I understand you are scared, it's a normal reaction. However, there are a myriad of possible reasons why your kidneys could be working at 60%, so it is too early to make any judgments.  It's entirely possible that you simply need to control your blood pressure and this could result in a complete stabilization of tour kidney function; who knows, possibly even an improvement.  And while 60% isn't great, it isn't life threatening at this point.  I would take a breath and wait and see what your doctor says.  In the meantime, cut out any salty / junky foods, get proper sleep, eat right and get some good exercise on a consistent basis.

Best wishes and good luck.

• Posted

Lucas, it's natural for us to be anxious when we receive abnormal results from blood tests, especially when there is no explanation provided alongside.

Although you haven't said how old you are, aAn eGFR of 60 is not unduly low, and, in fact, in the case of an older person may just represent an ageing process rather than a disease process (the name CKD - chronic kidney disease - is an unfortunate one in my mind!).  The test was developed at the request of the government who wished to find out whether reducing eGFR was an ageing process or a disease process.  My friend's GP told her that the government had opened a can of worms in introducing the tests as it resulted in loads of older people especially rushing off to renal consultants in fear.

Good luck with the repeat test - hopefully the eGFR remains stable at 60.  You can't do much more than you are already doing by treating your high blood pressure, apart from avoiding salt, keeping your weight under control, regular exercise and drinking plenty of water.  Good luck.

• Posted

if you're 80 years on a eGFR of 60% is 100% normal
  • Posted

if you're 80 years on a eGFR of 60% is 100% normal
  • Posted

if 're approx 80 years old, a eGFR of 60% is 100% normal
  • Posted

No, I'm 59. I had the test done again and it was 69 so I feel very relieved.
  • Posted

Hello, a GFR of 60 is actually borderline normal and just in stage 2 which is a mild reduction in function. A nephrologist would  not be concerned at this stage as it is not considered life threatening so i would try not to panic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.