Kidney tumor found scared to death

Posted , 4 users are following.

after a CT scan with dye a tumor of 2cm has been found. i have just had a all saying i need a byopsy on it in the next few weeks. but that is all they told me. has anyone else been through this? im really scared and cant find any real information on this. if anyone can help id love to hear from you 

steve

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. If, and that's a big if, a biopsy shows that the tumour is malignant (cancerous), it will be surgically removed. If the complete tumour is successfully taken there is an over 90 per cent likelihood of a cure. It is a cancer with one of the highest survival rates so don't panic, if it should be cancer it's treatable. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi JoyKF53

​thanks for your comments. its really helpful to hear postive news. i had a private ultrasound for belly aches that i had for years. and this was found during that. im so glad i booked to have it now. or it may have been growing there for years and years. thanks again for taking the time to comment. i found your words of great comforts x

• Posted

I'm so glad. When I was diagnosed with lymphoma I needed to hear positivity from people. And then, when they found a brain tumour (meningioma) during a routine scan it was even more important. I'm nearly 2 years in remission now and am having gamma knife surgery on Tuesday to kill off the tumour so as I see it, my glass is always half full, never half empty. Please let me know how you get on. We're hear to listen.

• Posted

hi

​and omg and here is me baninging on about my issues. you are a trooper and i cant wish you enough look with your procedure comming up. i wish you all the luck in the world and please let me know how you get on xx

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words but it really is no big deal. I'm having the gamma knife surgery tomorrow, got to get up at 3 to be there by 6.30, but home by teatime. I'll be sure to let you know how it went. Never think that you're "banging on" or that your issues are less important than anyone elses. Worry and anxiety is worry and anxiety, no matter what's causing it, we're all equal. Keep in touch.

• Posted

best of luck with your surgery today. you are very brave i think. im a mess at the moment. im been very angry with people and starting to feel like a leppar as people seem to avoid me rather than talk to me about it. still waiting for my biopsy and not sleeping well as im scared. let me know how you get on. and again best of luck with the surgery xx
    • Posted

Surgery over and all is well. I understand that you're scared but I'm sure all will be well. People avoid you because they don't know what to say, you need to tell them that it's ok, that you feel better when you can talk about it. Let me know how the biopsy goes.

• Posted

Hi Turvell, a 3cm kidney tumour was discovered in December 2013 during an ultrasound scan for recurring urinary infections.  I had the operation in January 2014 and was diagnosed with Stage 1a EBLE TYPE 2 PAPILLARY RENAL CELL CARCINOMA, for which, when completely excised, the prognosis is quite good. I have several CT scans since then, which fortunately have come back clear.  A 2cm mass is very small.  Like you when I was first diagnosed I thought my death was imminent, there was abosolutely no point in buying new clothes, etc. which is a very common response.  But 3.5 yrs later I am still here and healthy, so keeping my fingers crossed for you.  Do ask for copies of the pathology report so you know what type of cancer you have and what stage it is.  Good luck!
    • Posted

hi maja

thanks so much for taking the time to respond to me. cant tell you how much i appreciate that. and im so pleased to hear your positive story i truly am. im still waiting for my biopsy so in early stages. but im told its 99.9% will be cancer and as almost all masses are. i am struggling with my emotions at the moment and i am been really angry towards my other half. and i feel guilty about it. i know its not there fault and i am trying to suck it up. but finding it hard. i will ask for copies of it so i can read about it to. the internet can make it worse in some ways. but storys from people like you really help. as most storys i come accross are all doom n gloom. i hope that you are over this and your are forever more. and thanks again for taking the time to talk to me xx

• Posted

ps did you they do a partial one or takte the whole kidney? x
    • Posted

It was a partial nephrectomy - via open surgery - not keyhole - so there is less danger of stray cancer cells being left behind elsewhere in the body on route out.  Took a while to recover from open surgery, but I'd rather the whole lot came out cleanly with better prognosis in the end.

• Posted

they sepcialst that called me said they will probable whip the whole thing out. how do you move with such a large scar? it must be agony too. if you dont mind me asking are you in the UK or US x
    • Posted

I am in the UK - I was treated at Oxford - The Churchill hospital - top service.  The surgeon neatly removed the tumour with a good clear margin.   Fortunately only part of my kidney needed removing, preserving more than half, not quite sure how much, could have been two-thirds? 
    • Posted

Moving after a major open surgery is quite awkward - turning over in bed is quite hard to start with.  Suggest you have someone to look after you for the first few weeks at least.
    • Posted

how was the recovery. i googled and saw some massive scars on people. it must has been very hard to cope ? x
    • Posted

yes i can imagine i had a small 5 inch cut across belly fro a hernia and that was hard and only small
    • Posted

I think people differ in how they recover.  I am a wuss and usually keel over completely (and I am 64) whereas other people just bounce back from operations.  Because I had neck problems they made the incision on the left side at the front (abdomen) - so I had to sleep for quite a few weeks on my back.  Scar is just a little larger than 6 inches.  I think normally they make a cut from the side towards the back?  You may like to Google: Abdominal Surgery - Caring for Yourself at Home?  But anyway this may all be premature as your treatment plan has not been decided yet?  Like you I was full of dread, but there was no alternative, I just had to bite the bullet.  Once it's been excised and it's all behind you, things should look a lot brighter for you!  During your recovery your body willl tell you how much activity to start engaging in again.  After the first 2 to 3 weeks things started to pick up for me again.

• Posted

i just had the call my biopsy is this friday. im to be there at 8am and wont leave till the night they say. did you have this biopsy? fine needle guided one. ? x
    • Posted

No I did not have a biopsy - went straight for the operation.  So I guess nothing will be planned for your treatment until they have the pathology report.  Are you in the States?
    • Posted

no im in the midlands uk. i asked about been in uk or US becusae almost all i read about it is from people in the USA. no i dont know what lies ahead as yet. altho the urologist did say they will prob just take it all out. not sure why he said that at this stage tho. eager beaver i guess x
    • Posted

thank you. sooner its done sooner i know what im dealing with x
    • Posted

how you doing? feeling better after the procedure x
    • Posted

Hi Steve, did you have a biopsy or did they decide to remove all of the mass?  When do you get path lab/biopsy/histology report?
    • Posted

hi they did the biopsy last friday and told me it would be 10 to 14 days for the results. i am worried about having read that they can spread cancer. and i had read that they usually just remove to be safe. the biopsy was long and painful then i had to spend 6 hours flat on my back before i could go home. i assume i should know by end of the week. but been a bank holiday could run into week after maybe. the guy that did the biopsy said i wouldnt worry to much if i were you. not sure why he would say that. unless he just been nice. i wish i could pay to speed it all up and get answer now. its killing me all this waiting. 
    • Posted

ok just got the call it is a malignant tumor in the kidney. 2.5cm. feel sick now even tho i knew it was comming. they will see me in a few weeks time to discus what to do
    • Posted

Yikes Steve, that is not the news you were waiting for...  I can understand your worry.  The uncertainty is so hard to bear.  I found the American Cancer Institute website really good - I downloaded several PDFs from them - try Googling: National Institute of Health What You Need to Know about Kidney Cancer, and if you Google "We have kidney cancer a practical guide for patients and families" a very good informative PDF guide comes up too (by American Kidney Cancer Assn).  Hang on in there Steve, the best thing you can do is prepare yourself for the operation.  The first PDF suggests questions you can ask the doctors, etc.  Good luck - let me know when you've seen the team, what they suggest and when you're going to have the operation.  2.5cm is not a large mass, mine of 3cm, so hopefully you can take heart from that.  (I haven't put links in here as the monitor picks these up and has to approve them, causing delays.)  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.