Kidneys vs IBS?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All! Hoping you can shed some light for me on kidney symptoms vs. not kidney symptoms. Had an IBS-D flare up that started about 2 weeks ago, but seems to have evolved into different symptoms.  Throughout this process, I have had dull kidney (upper back) and flank pain (like a sore, bruised, tender feeling-mostly left, some right) that comes and goes. I literally had no symptoms at all yesterday and then it randomly decided to return this morning upon waking. As a side note, I have also been having trace blood in my urine and urinary frequency (x 1 yr), which I understand is normal with IBS. My bloodwork has been normal, physical exam normal (including when physician thumps you on the back where kidneys are), had a CT scan November 2016 (negative) and I had gall bladder removal 11 years ago. Doc ordered another Abdominal/Pelvic CT which I am waiting to hear back for scheduling. When I looked up kidney issues online, it stated that most of the time the pain is severe and intense and accompanied by fevers and such. This pain is somewhat uncomfortable, but I would say 3/10 on the pain scale- not severe at all and no fevers. My mind is racing with negative thoughts and I'm hoping nothing more is going on. Can someone shed some light on these symptoms in relation to kidney issues? Anyone had the same issues? Thanks in advance for the info.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Im having the exact same problems, upper back pain, left side flank pain and blood in urine.  I am awaiting a ct scan.

Did you find out what was causing your issues?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.