Klean prep - never had it and really nervous, don't know what to expect

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey,

I'm due for a colonoscopy at the end of May and I've only ever had one flex sig before as I'm fairly newly diagnosed. I've heard people vomit when drinking it and I don't like being sick. I can stomach things fairly well and tastes don't tend to bother me. Will I be okay?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

When i did it for the first time i wasn't sick....after having the camera o told the nurse it was discussing and how can it be made easier to drink....she say make it up and put it in the fridge a while before drinking it, second time wasn't as bad
  • Posted

Hi Brooke22

I have had Klean Prep and you are right, it is not the best tasting thing in the world. The secret is not to drink the glass in one go as it does make you gag.  

When I was due my next colonscopy, I asked my IBD/Endoscopy if I could have a different prep to which they gave me piccolax, which was SO much better. Piccolax comes in a sachet and you mix it with water (approx 125ml if I remember rightly) and you just drink that.  It has no taste whatsoever which is great.  You have approx 3 sachets over a period of 12 hours or so (I am trying to remember this from memory so may have the timings wrong).

If you are really worried I would speak to your IBD Nurse/Consultant or ring the endoscopy department and ask them if you can take the piccolax instead.  They both clear you out!

Good luck with everything.x

• Posted

My IBD nurse said I can have Piccolax insteadsmile thank you so much for recommending sillip2007, I will let you all know for I get onsmile
    • Posted

Yes, if you can , go for the Piccolax.  Much more tolerable.

Good luck 

Sue x

• Posted

Hey Brooke sorry I'm late with this but I just went through this last week

I literally was nearly throwing up .. I mixed mine with Orange concentrate I got through three and a half sachets

Glad you got it changed I can't imagine having to do it again

After all that I seen on the sheet my bowel prep was "satisfactory" lol but I'm sure the guy doing the colonoscopy said it was good

Don't worry about your colonoscopy. I took sedation and was completely awake throughout! I've read on this that some people can't take the pain but it's ok. It's jyst uncomfortable.At one point I said I felt sore and they moved me onto my back and I didn't feel a thing.

Trust me I'm scared at everything and anything and I managed it!!

Good luck xx

• Posted

Have you had a flex sigmoidoscopy? Because they said that was slight discomfort and I was in agony. He said that would be due to my inflammation though. Thanks for replying x
    • Posted

Hey Brooke no problem

I had the flexible sigmoidoscopy in January.

I felt pain with the flexible sigmoidoscopy there was a couple of times and I was like ouch!!!! But they told me just to stay calm and that was the worst part.

I had the colonoscopy on Friday about 11am I was so scared. I'm 5ft 2, 29 years old a size 8 and I weigh just under (although everyone tells me I look lighter??) lol

They gave me the maximum sedation they could and I did again feel discomfort. At one point I remember telling them to stop but they said lie in my back.. And after that I never felt a thing! Honestly!!

I have spoke to people on this and they haven't been able to get through it but I honestly am such a wimp and fainted when I got blood tests done so if I can do it you can Brooke!id rather I was awake than asleep because I dont like the thought of someone messing about with me when I'm asleep!!

I'd say both are very similar! I'd rather get the colonoscopy again with sedation than the Flexible sigmoidoscopy without!!!!

Anymore questions just ask. I've just been diagnosed in jan so it's all new to me too xx

• Posted

I'm so worried it's going to hurt but it has to be done! You've explained it so well, thank yousmile
    • Posted

You will be ok. Half the battle really is the bowel prep..

I know people say that but u was exhausted and once I had drank the evil solution it was a weight off my shoulders

Please let me know how you get on

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.