klebsiella pneumoniae treatment?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have bronchiectasis I am 31 years old and I have kartagener syndrome Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia I was infected with klebsiella pneumoniae, There are only two remedies that are beneficial to me imipenem and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole .

I took imipenem in hospital for only a 8 days but the infection came back 4 days after I left the hospital and tried trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole but the infection returned after the 4-day treatment , help me please

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Have you considered going to National Jewish Health in Denver? My insurance wouldn't cover them (out of network) . i paid out of pocket for a consult, after i sent my most recent test results. It was amazing, and my local doctors are on board with the recommendations. My pseudomonas infection is under control and I left with real strategies to help keep it that way.

• Posted

I don't know anything about the conditions that you have but I do know that with any bacterial infections if a 4 day treatment doesn't work then they typically put you on a longer course of antibiotic therapy. For example when I was kept getting lung infections I was given two different rounds of 4 day antibiotics just like you. since then I was diagnosed with bronchiectasis they started to treat me with a two-week course of augmentin every time I get infected. it's unfortunate that they put you on a 4-day treatment twice because what they may have done inadvertently is to cause the bacteria that's making you sick to become resistant to that 4 day course of antibiotic. that's my uneducated opinion. But it would be worth discussing with your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.