Klonopins n help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys. So I've been taking klonopin (clonezapam) -I think that's how you spell it anyway lol- daily .25mg (some days I'll take another dose to add up to .5mg a day) for maybe the past week and a half or so. The past few days I've been getting a really weird feeling in my head, almost like depersonalization but kinda different, idk how to even expla it but I don't like it. And the only thing I can think is that it's from the klonopin. So I want to get off of it. I saw my doctor and she prescribed me Zoloft, and then she said I can try Ativan.while my body adjusts to the Zoloft. I really don't want to be on a benzo daily. Now I know I'm taking a very low dose of klonopin and it hasn't been for long, but I don't want to quit cold turkey and get any bad symptoms.

Does anyone have any advice? On how to quit the klonopin daily BESIDES quitting cold turkey. Also, could it be the klonopin making my head feel this way? It just kinda came out of nowhere.. Like my head feels like it's on he verge of something, I don't even know how to explain it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Excuse the title it should be "klonopin help" lol

• Posted

All the psych meds are very potent and affect neurochemistry with regular use, such that one must taper to allow the nervous system to gradually adapt back.   It is unsafe to just stop once you have been using benzos daily for two or more weeks.  If it is possible to break this tablet into quarters, you could do 3/4 for a week, 1/2 for a week, 1/4 for a week and then stop, as long as you feel ok along the way.

Yes, these meds can cause such side effects as you are describing.

How are you feeling?  Do you feel you need to move to another medication?  What was the anxiety about that led you to Klon?  It would be a shame for you to get put on the medi-go-round which is very hard to get off due to withdrawal potential of all psych meds.  If you can process your emotions, anxiety, using non-drug techniques, that would be the healthiest path.  There's lots of self-help on the web.

• Posted

Hey Betsy. I've tried the non medication route and no luck rolleyes I feel like the klonopins been helping.. But for some reason my anxiety wanted to take the way I'm feeling and convince myself I'm going to have a seizure or something because of the medication even though the medication prevents seizures and I I am non epileptic. The only way it would cause one is if I took a bigger dose for a long time then stopped abruptly. Gotta love anxiety

• Posted

You might want to look into genetic testing, in particular for the MTHFR gene.  The mutation interferes with methylation of B vitamins, rendering them useless.  Deficiencies in methylated B vitamins apparently leads to anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, miscarriages, and more, depending on which version of mustation you have (or both, as there are two loci on the gene that can be mustated).  I'm looking into it for myself.  I read a very good article by a woman who had suffered anxitey for much of her life and had been on meds to no avail, but supplementing with methy B12 and folinic acid turned things around for her.  She said she still has mild anixiety once in awhile, but very tolerable compared to before, and not on meds.  Bears investiagation since yours has been intractible. 

• Posted

I was taking 1.5mg. Alprazolam daily for nearly 15 years, but concurrently consuming an aveage of 200 ml.70 proof Southern Comforl,5-6x aweek. Never drove with any alcohol in the system, which was verified by professional  grade breath testing equipment. I finally decided to quit alcohol cold turkey,but continue wuth the Alprazolam.

Within a short time I began experiencing anxiety attacks.My MHP switched me to Clonazepam because of its longer half life. I continued to abstain from alcohol, but was becoming very depressed, which I attributed to the Clonazepam. I asked to go back to 4mg.of Alprazolam, and have continued alcohol abstinence. Switching from Alprazolam to Clonazepam resulted in no withdrawal symptoms,but when I returned to Alprazolam I had withdrawal symptoms for about three months, mostly muscular aches in the shoulder, along with some anxiety. I found Clono to be effective for anxiety, but not depression. Also take Wellbutrin 450mg.1x and have for nearly twenty years, I don't know what would happen if I tried to reduce it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.