Knee

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi 

has anyone else noticed that the knee that's had TKR seems warmer than the unoperated knee 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Yes because it is busy healing; could have fried an egg on my knee at the beginning! Just a little warm now.

Interestingly, my surgeon said that once the scar starts to turn from red / purple to white that the internal healing process is finishing / is complete.

• Posted

Did your Surgeon say how many weeks post op that is when the scar turns completely white

my scar is white in places  and purple and red in others ....

• Posted

No but guess it can be months and months plus the whole thing can take up to two years anyway.

Just had a look at my left knee and all its scars: Have four from 30 years ago which are barely visible, two from 2004, three from last year (one of which is a re-entry and still a little pink) and the devilish one from 12 weeks ago all of which vary in colour but will definitely fade in time :-)

• Posted

Oh Tracey thats good to know my scar is so good if you can have such a thing and hardly any bruising. Oh if I could just bend it life would be great,must be patient smile
    • Posted

I'm 17 weeks post op now and my knee still gets warm at times, sometimes just in one part.

interesting what you say about the scar. Mine is still red/purple and a bit bumpy in places. There is a thin white line below my knee then above a white line is slowly growing between the red bumps. When I went to knee class others had healed a lot better than mine. It doesn't really bother me but I keep thinking if it's taking all this time to heal on the outside then it figures that inside is still healing too 😊 Your surgeon seems to confirm this. Thanks. 

• Posted

Oh my word

you've definitely gone through it by the sound of it 

• Posted

You will get there! At six weeks I was so swollen I could hardly bend which is why they said I may need manipulation but 12weeks (tomorrow actually) I am about 105! Not yet 140 but have the rest of my life to work on it :-)
    • Posted

It is like a little map of the life of my knee!

I only have three on my right knee and am hoping to keep it that way as I never ever want to go through this again!

• Posted

I have one tiny little bit of white scar low down on my shin the rest is still red / purply :-)

When I first took the bandage of I said it looked like a Cornish pasty, the way it was so puckered and lumpy but much smoother now!

• Posted

Lol Tracey

i took a photo of my Cornish pasty biggrinand the different stages since 

• Posted

Hi jean yes my knee at nearly 14weeks still gets very warm and when I have overdone things a little it gets quite hot. There is no bruising or coloration on my knee anymore it is its normal colour. I know I have turned that corner I haven't wept for 3days. Good luck with the healing jean 
    • Posted

That's great tucks ...I hope you've turned the corner

i still have some bruising on the top of my knee but nothing compared toa few weeks ago 

• Posted

I'm 10 weeks now ...and thinking back to the first few weeks there's no comparison even though I still moan  

i kept a daily diary on how I felt  from day 1  the difference is unbelievable

so it really is ...onwards and upwards 

• Posted

Your doing just fine Tucks, I have decided that I get so much respect and consideration when I hobble out on my crutches that I may very well hang on to my badges of honour,I knew eventualy old age would be its own reward smile smile 
  • Posted

YES JEAN ,MY RT KNEE IS WARMER...IN THE BEGINNING I DESCRIBED MY PAIN AS  ' BURNING '...I HAVE LEARNED TO POSITION A FAN AT MY BEDSIDE , AND SLEEP ON MY SIDE WITH THE KNEE UNCOVERED AND FAN BLOWING ON MY KNEE TO KEEP IT COOLER,,,ANITA ...14 WEEKS POST RT TKR
    • Posted

Thank you Anita 

every bit of advice is worth trying 

this site is great for that 

jean 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.