Knee

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 8 weeks into my knee replacement and just started the gym at pysio but don't no if it is normal but I can't lift my leg sometimes as I can feel the new knee and when I walk it hurts any one ele experience this please lete no thanks xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't think you should expect that your new knee will be as strong as your other knee, that takes alot on time, my only 6 weeks post TKR, and I'm nowhere close to being as strong as my good knee, as far as the pain you should call your doctor, I've NEVER had any pain when I walk. And I was up and walking within hours of my surgery, it doesn't hurt to walk on it, it hurts to do the PT, and bending it back. Never while I walk.....
    • Posted

It certainly did hurt when I walked!  My foot was very painful, and the knee hurt a lot every time I bent it to try to walk properly . . I think you were probably very lucky, Mary!  Or maybe on the forum there are a lot of unlucky poeple. . I sometimes wonder!

• Posted

It is still early days.  You need to work on your muscles; quads in particular; these you can do in bed before getting up in the morning (I always think this is the best time as you are normally relaxed and your muscles nice and relaxed). After a while, you will feel the difference.  If you have a pool (warm!!) at your gym, use it.. Please do not do the same exercises that you used to do before your replacement, until you are totally recovered. You are not going backwards, just a little sideways.

Good luck

• Posted

yes it took me ages to lift the leg by myself so i kept amy belt from my dressing gown and put it around my foot and lifted the leg that way and also did my excersise while doing this and pretty soon my leg started to lift itself hurting while you walk some of us have had that it will pass just make sure your meds are up to it
  • Posted

To clarify things, again I never had pain while walking, I did have pain daily in my lower leg, swelling, tightness, especially my ankle and bruising down both the front and back of my shin. I also had tremendous pain during the pulling back of my knee during therapy, I cried with every pull, twice a day.....But I never had pain while walking...That was the reason I had the replacement for in the first place, I was Bone on Bone.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.