Knee

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi I had New replacement surgery exactly 34 days ago should I be able to put weight on my surgical knee the reason I ask is apparently I am limping and put them away on my good knee and now my good knee is killing me  New replacement surgery exactly 34 days ago should I be able to put weight on my surgical knee the reason I ask is apparently I am limping and put them away on my good knee and now my good knee is killing me 

One more question is how do I keep the swelling down I do I said I even have ice machine I do elevated but my knee is very swollen thanks for all the help ,,

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bosco. I had surgery 5/4. I am not an expert but I would say to just rest more. Walk less. Give both of your legs a chance to get stronger. Everything in both of my legs got sore. Shin, calf, thigh, front of knee, back of knee, ankle, you name it. Just try not to worry, and for me, things started getting better aroind 8 weeks. Ice, elevate, rest, distract yourself (Netflix) and just let your body get well again.
  • Posted

The nurses had me standing by the evening of my surgery. I had a nerve block, so the big issue was locking my knee to take a step. The block was removed the next night, and I was walking with help to the bathroom which was in my room. That afternoon my PT began with a short walk down the hall and back. Putting weight on my surgical knee was expected. I didn't have any trouble doing it and not any real pain from putting weight on it. This was surprising to me considering how painful it had been prior to surgery.

My second knee was easier than my first. This really surprised me because it was my worst knee.

I had TERRIBLE swelling with my left knee ! Nothing seemed to relieve the swelling! The GameReady machine at PT helped the most. It compressed the knee and iced it at the same time.

I still had considerable swelling until about three months that post surgery with my left leg.

My right leg never swelled as badly as my left. I have no idea why.

Compression stockings that go up to your thighs work well. They are hard to put on, but worth the effort to get relief. Putting your legs up the wall if you can lay on the floor works the best. You can also lay on your bed and put your legs up the headboard if getting g down on the floor is too difficult.

Drinking lots of ice water sends you off to the bathroom a lot, but it also rids toxins and eliminates swelling.

Wishing you relief with pain and swelling!😊

• Posted

Hi Yes you have to put weight on it. You have to use it. I had the 2 replacements done together. It takes a while to get the swelling out. My surgeon advised for the first 2 weeks to ice for 20 minutes every hour. after this I iced for 20 minutes about minumum of 6 times per day and keep elevated. It will eventually go down
    • Posted

I agree ,

You have to put weight on it .

It's going to hurt , it's going to swell.

Tell your therapist , ice it , elevate it , and exercise . Pain now means less pain later

• Posted

Unfortunately my therapy sessions are finished . I only get six that are covered by my insurance if I want to pay outside my insurance $120 each session I can't afford that so I'm trying to do on my own that's why sometimes I have questions for you people maybe you can suggest more exercises I'm doing I appreciate all the help That you are giving me

• Posted

I hate that , physical therapy is a great help , and there is the knowledge that a therapist has that we simply don't . I had a left and right tkr may 22nd . I was told from the start that my new knees could support my weight without damaging the knees. The muscles and connective tissue are what has to be built back up . A knee replacement is very traumatic and it is very painful to rebuild the tissue that was damaged. The problem is if you don't get all your movement back in a certain amount of time you may never get it all back. I was told that I had 8 weeks to get 100 degrees or better , or that they would manipulate under anesthesia.

The thing that helped me the most was a recumbent bicycle and exercising on steps

• Posted

Also , I didn't think to mention if you are limping , use crutches . Exercise as much as you can , even when it hurts . But when you aren't exercising and walking around use crutches , or you can hurt your good knee by overworking it

• Posted

Are you never able to weight bear at all?  

And re:  am limping and put them away on my good knee  What do you mean?

• Posted

We all perceive "a bit" differently so could you please describe it more for me.  I was walking after my TKR and quite suddenly I couldn't.  So if you can let me know more about what you're going through I may be able to help.  

• Posted

Hi Bosco, I had my total knee replacement 33 days ago. All I was reading online before and after were very old posts regarding problems which scared me. I have been very lucky in recovery and by day 5, I was not using any support and was off meds by day 9 and driving. By week 3, my range of motion was at 120 degrees.

I was told that it is important to wear a compression stalking all day everyday for atleast the first 6 weeks. I take it off only when sleeping. That helps with swelling, circulation, and avoiding blood clots (which are all related). I also feel like it gives a little support as well.

Whenever I am not standing, I keep my leg elevated above the level of my heart, which helps with swelling.

For the first 10 days or so, I iced my knee 4 or 5 times a day. Always after PT and anytime I had exerted myself (knee). Until about a week ago. I iced it for 45 minutes before bed. Until a week ago, my leg ached only at night and I would not get good rest.

I also need my other knee replaced and it has become worse since my surgery on the other knee. I believe this has occurred due to my PT which works that knee as well. As my recovery has been quick, I don't really put additional pressure on the non-surgical knee. I can not do surgery on my other knee until next Summer so I am trying to be careful. I wear a simple brace on the knee to give it added support throughout the day. I also let my PT know so he can accommodate my activities. He did point out that the added work with that knee would actually strengthen it, but school starts in a few weeks and I can't afford to be in pain all day.

I know this is long, but I hope it helps.

The most important thing is to tell your doctor and PT everything and don't feel embarrassed. Also, recovery can be anywhere from 3 months to 2 years from what I have read.

• Posted

Hi I had problems with swelling (unbearable) used to run a cold bath and sit in it for as long as I could even during the night ( leave the water in the bath through the day so I didn't ware the water), the ice packs just never seemed enough? Not sure if this actually made a difference but Also added Epsom salts that I purchased in bulk! I also kept the ibuprofen dosage up to the max possible in 24 hour period. I'm 12 weeks into my recovery and this routine is still useful if I have over done it !

• Posted

Hi

Rest, icing and hot baths helped me, still a great deal of pain, no sleep and crying.

You need to walk correctly or you will get problems in other parts of your body.

Walk towards a full length mirror can help.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi Bosco. Are you using two sticks (or canes) I seem to limp when not using two. I think it is muscle memory from before the op. It takes time to have the confidence to 

put weight through your new knee but I believe there is no physical reason why you can't .  Are you still taking plenty of pain killers? I am 38 days past a PKR and still need medication particularly to exercise or walk. My good knee is also causing me pain  I think this is due to compensating for the new one we are frightened of using. 

Take the pain killers and go for it gently. It all takes time - so the knowledgable folks on here say. I'm still a newbie. Good luck and persevere.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.