Knee

Posted , 7 users are following.

Eight weeks now since knee replacement surgery has anyone had this problem my calf of my leg is killing me when I'm walking what with this because by going up and down stairs maybe 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had this problem a well. It began about 3 weeks, I am now at 13 weeks and realize it is gone. It was a real problem but I began taking an anti-inflammatory and continued with my exercises. I'm not certain when it stopped but this remedy helped me. I hope you get some relief soon.

• Posted

Greetings Bosco. Yep anti-inflammatories worked for me too. I still take them when my 17 month old knees act up. Calf pain is a nuisance but it's one of the many issues we face as we heal. You will improve. Be patient. Each day brings new challenges but one day you'll take your new knee out for a brisk walk and stairs too and feel no pain. Patience is the key! And get some calf exercises off YouTube. x

• Posted

I can't  take it but  what about voltaren any one use this

• Posted

Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is the second-best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet (check for drug interactions first).  Used it all the time.  

Remember that your quads, glutes and core are basically atrophied.  Going to take a long time to build back those muscles to support the new knee.  In the meantime, other muscles have to take over the job.  Getting the picture?  I'm 17-months post op...you have a long way to go.

After you're done with PT and getting your ROM back, you may want to consider regaining all that strength...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Stay strong!!!  

• Posted

Yes...it's the weirdest thing.  You can go from no calf pain at bedtime, to not even being able to hardly walk in the morning! It can hurt so bad!!  Out of the blue it hurts, then, out of the blue it will go away.

It happened to me at least 3 or 4 different times...( so far.).   Just look for a new day.  It will come!!  💜

• Posted

Don't worry overly Bosco.  Best thing to do about the stairs thing is to use it as exercise and it'll come good.   All sorts of leg pain after TKR I've had is pain anywhere from foot to thigh. And then of course your shoulders hurt because of having to walk a new way.  I hope you're seeing a physiotherapist who will check your walking stance.  After a TKR we need to learn to walk again.  Even sitting down you can practise this by first only heel on the ground, roll through to toes off the ground and use your big toe to balance by.  Then practise this several times a day.

• Posted

Gentle stretching is really good after knee replacement. I think whole body tenses up due to the trauma of surgery... standing plank for example good for me. Look up some yoga positions on google, only do gentle ones and nothing that twists knee...nothing that causes pain. Very gentle and adapted yoga only, general relaxation , stretches for upper body also great, full lung breath.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.