Knee

Posted , 6 users are following.

4 months I had total knee replacement .... I woke up at hurts I can't even put weight on my leg to be concerned because the doctor about this but   This is part of it this is happening because it happened to anyone else 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Are you saying that you had a knee replacement 4 months ago, and you are unable to put weight on it? If so...that is not normal! You SHOULD be concerned! Talk to your surgeon!
    • Posted

I just got back from seeing the surgeon he says it's the nurse nurse been cutting it that's what's getting me the electric shocks and you not want me to stand on my leg that's what he says you have to trust him so if this is my nerve giving me this much pain is there nothing you can do for nerve pain he says no

• Posted

I’m not sure what you mean by “it’s the nurse that’s beet cutting it”....wait...do you mean that the nerves have been cut?  If so...yes they were cut, and you would feel numb around the knees...but you should still be able to stand, AND walk by 4 months post. You should be walking well. I believe the majority of TKR patients are up the very next day after surgery! You should have had physio therapy as well. Something doesn’t seem right here. 
  • Posted

I am 12 weeks in my tkr and I am still having problems had 12 pt sections my knee is still very tight and heavy, not so swollen, very stiff can't bend very much, any suggestions 

• Posted

Are you still getting PT?   I’m just a little over four weeks out and realize how important PT is to movement. I know it hurts but we have to do it to get best results. Try a heating pad around the area before starting PT to  give you maximum mobility .
  • Posted

The concerning thing, to me, is not the pain...that's totally normal.  Most people are past the worst of the pain in the 4-6 month range so it's not surprising to hear that.  What's troubling is the inability to bear weight.  That's a BIG question for your PT or surgeon...and I would get that resolved ASAP...like tomorrow!!!  Let us know...

• Posted

Thanks but I did go see  surgeon he said it's perfectly normal 

,,I told him it's like electric shocks to my whole leg from my ankle to my knee and above my knee and it was hard to stand on it and gave more electric shocks he said perfectly normal I don't know what to do

• Posted

The "electric shocks" are the nerves healing...especially around and below the incision.  Some people get them worse than others but they diminish over time.  At 19 months, I still feel the tingling when I kneel on a hard surface which is why I don't kneel on a hard surface.  If I have to do some work, I use a foam pad indoors and padded knee pads outside.  Some old-timers have said that even that goes away in time but just not yet for me.

There are nerve meds like Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Lyrica but they have lots of side effects and never worked for me.  Keep on keeping on...it should resolve itself.

• Posted

Thanks  for all your advice it's appreciated .. I don't want to take any medication but trying heat and wondering if there's any creams to put on it at this point I wish I never went through this new replacement surgery it was supposed to be better .lol

• Posted

I had a case of spinal stenosis causing sciatica down both legs that was fixed by an LLIF (lateral) fusion...they go in from your side...very cool.  When they retracted the nerve roots at L2/L3 to do the implant, I was left with diminishing nerve pain in my quads for a few weeks after the surgery.  Did not want to take the meds and a topical anti-inflammatory like Voltaren Gel (GREAT for the knee!) didn't affect the nerves.

Found OTC Aspercream with 4% Lidocaine worked OK...dulled the nerves a bit...took the edge off.  After it was all over, I found out that I could have asked the doc for Lidocaine PATCHES!!!!  They would have really helped. 

• Posted

Unless you have really increased your activity you should probably touch base with the surgeon. If, however you have been increasing the level activity suddenly, you may have just overdone it. Rest it and by that I mean sit with your leg up and iced. Stay off of it a nd

give it a chance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.